View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2008
Default Greenhouse Growbags question.

Hi -

This is my first posting here so please bear with me -

This is my first full year of greenhouse ownership, it's only a small 6' 6" square plastic Rion greenhouse, but I'm hoping to get some tomatoes, cucumbers, and sweet and chilli peppers going in growbags later this year.

I had limited success last year, but not as good as I hoped, due I think to a late start and the wet summer we had.

Due to my odd work hours, I'm not going to be available to water the greenhouse every single day, so I have a water timer and drip feeds into the growbags. Is this a good idea - or is there a better way ?.

Is it better to cover the floor with concrete flags, and sit the growbags on top of those, or will it be a better idea to cut a few slits in the base of the growbags and rest them directly on the soil, so some of the root systems will be able to grow down underneath the growbags ?

Last year I had a lot of small black flies, which I believe are encouraged by having damp earth to lay their eggs in, so I'm thinking that if I concrete flag the floor first, this will help eliminate the black flies problem ?

Thanks - Dave.