Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered User

Default Greenhouse Growbags question.

Hi -

This is my first posting here so please bear with me -

This is my first full year of greenhouse ownership, it's only a small 6' 6" square plastic Rion greenhouse, but I'm hoping to get some tomatoes, cucumbers, and sweet and chilli peppers going in growbags later this year.

I had limited success last year, but not as good as I hoped, due I think to a late start and the wet summer we had.

Due to my odd work hours, I'm not going to be available to water the greenhouse every single day, so I have a water timer and drip feeds into the growbags. Is this a good idea - or is there a better way ?.

Is it better to cover the floor with concrete flags, and sit the growbags on top of those, or will it be a better idea to cut a few slits in the base of the growbags and rest them directly on the soil, so some of the root systems will be able to grow down underneath the growbags ?

Last year I had a lot of small black flies, which I believe are encouraged by having damp earth to lay their eggs in, so I'm thinking that if I concrete flag the floor first, this will help eliminate the black flies problem ?

Thanks - Dave.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Dave Whipp" wrote in message
news

Hi -

This is my first posting here so please bear with me -

This is my first full year of greenhouse ownership, it's only a small
6' 6" square plastic Rion greenhouse, but I'm hoping to get some
tomatoes, cucumbers, and sweet and chilli peppers going in growbags
later this year.

I had limited success last year, but not as good as I hoped, due I
think to a late start and the wet summer we had.

Due to my odd work hours, I'm not going to be available to water the
greenhouse every single day, so I have a water timer and drip feeds
into the growbags. Is this a good idea - or is there a better way ?.

have a look at this and see if it suits your needs.
http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf
http://www.earthboxresearch.com/

Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi All,
I would put the grow bag onto the soil, That way the roots can go down into
the soil to find water if you can not water every day. As for the flies if
they are not harming the plants I would not bother about them. If they are
you can allways get rid of them some other way. Hope this helps you.

Richard M watkin.

--
Dave Whipp

Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Dave.Whipp.2266817
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Last year I had a lot of small black flies, which I believe are
encouraged by having damp earth to lay their eggs in, so I'm thinking
that if I concrete flag the floor first, this will help eliminate the
black flies problem ?

Look up fungus gnats and see if that's what you were observing.
Old 16-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Registered User

Hi dave,

I had a small greenhouse similar to you and wanted to grow tomatoes and cucumbers also.
My cucumbers came out real good but I didnt have much success with the tomatoes. I have since heard that tomatoess and cucumbers dont like growing next to each other. Im not an expert so this is just something to bear in mind - and hopefully some more experienced people can clarify this point??????????

good luck candide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whipp View Post

Old 16-02-2008, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi,
It is not that Tomatoes and Cucumbers do not like growing together. It is
that they like different conditions, so what is good for one is not good for
the other. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 17-02-2008, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:04:10 +0000, Dave Whipp
wrote:

[...]

I am not familiar with growbags but the ones I saw on the WEB seemed
to be rather large. I can not imagine that they would need to be
watered every day. I am the southern US and have a greenhouse. I do
not water my seedlings every day even though they are in trays with
partitions that are about 2" square.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/supplies.htm #6686 is a sample of what I
use to start seeds. And no, I did not pay that much for mine. Even
this size does not need daily watering.

Put your Growbags in trays or saucers and fill the tray and let the
pot absorb the water. Keep it up until it is wet all the way through.
Remember it is roots that need the water. Do not set the pots on the
ground. If the roots grow through the drain holes it will be a pain
to remove the plants to either plant outside or move into larger bags.

Remember greenhouses can get very hot when hit with direct sunlight. I
have seen mine go from 50°F to 90°F in an hour or two with the outside
temperature is 40°F.

I am not an expert but I do have a couple of years or experience now.
If you have more questions ask here or my email is correct.
--
Susan N.

Growbags in trays. mark United Kingdom 13 29-04-2009 08:36 AM
growpots in growbags? SH United Kingdom 8 07-02-2008 03:10 PM
Organic growbags anon United Kingdom 24 12-06-2005 01:48 PM
tomatoes in in pots growbags SH United Kingdom 6 07-05-2005 08:27 AM
Growbags and watering Dragon United Kingdom 0 26-08-2003 10:24 PM