Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_116_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_116_] is offline

Default Planting potatoes early?

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren says...
Considering that there is a ground frost here one night in three,
and the soil is only marginally above freezing, I am not worried
that I have only just ORDERED mine!

I think mine may be shivering a bit :-)

I take heart from the fact that there are always lots of
volunteers from the previous year that survive whatever
Winter throws at them to emerge the following year.

I think it's worth a try (once at least). If the worse
happens and they all perish then I can always plant some
more in April - assuming the ground is still workable then
and not mud like last April.

In a site a few hundred yards from ours a lady planted hers a month ago and
a tenant of ours planted a row last week. I am waiting till March as it is a
nuisance worrying about a late frost and covering with fleece. Mind you we
didn't have any late ones last year.

I would always use fleece, it's easy to move. I weigh one side along the row
with planks and pull it over the row if I suspect frost and then weigh it
down against the wind. I think carpet would attract slugs and possibly break
the tops.

Robert

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com