Old 11-02-2008, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting potatoes early?

Well, I've taken a risk and started planting some potatoes
today. I normally wait until the end of March or beginning
of April but the weather the last couple of years meant
they went in late then all got hit with blight.

I've got some old carpet. Would it be worth while covering
the ground with that for the time being to keep them snug,
or should I wait until they start to come up? I've also got
some horticultural fleece - would it be better to put that
over after they poke through the soil rather than old
carpet?

Anyone else planted potatoes this early? Any tips?
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| Anyone else planted potatoes this early? Any tips?

Considering that there is a ground frost here one night in three,
and the soil is only marginally above freezing, I am not worried
that I have only just ORDERED mine!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren says...
Considering that there is a ground frost here one night in three,
and the soil is only marginally above freezing, I am not worried
that I have only just ORDERED mine!

I think mine may be shivering a bit :-)

I take heart from the fact that there are always lots of
volunteers from the previous year that survive whatever
Winter throws at them to emerge the following year.

I think it's worth a try (once at least). If the worse
happens and they all perish then I can always plant some
more in April - assuming the ground is still workable then
and not mud like last April.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren says...
Considering that there is a ground frost here one night in three,
and the soil is only marginally above freezing, I am not worried
that I have only just ORDERED mine!

I think mine may be shivering a bit :-)

I take heart from the fact that there are always lots of
volunteers from the previous year that survive whatever
Winter throws at them to emerge the following year.

I think it's worth a try (once at least). If the worse
happens and they all perish then I can always plant some
more in April - assuming the ground is still workable then
and not mud like last April.

In a site a few hundred yards from ours a lady planted hers a month ago and
a tenant of ours planted a row last week. I am waiting till March as it is a
nuisance worrying about a late frost and covering with fleece. Mind you we
didn't have any late ones last year.

I would always use fleece, it's easy to move. I weigh one side along the row
with planks and pull it over the row if I suspect frost and then weigh it
down against the wind. I think carpet would attract slugs and possibly break
the tops.

Robert

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 11-02-2008, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) says...
I would always use fleece, it's easy to move. I weigh one side along the row
with planks and pull it over the row if I suspect frost and then weigh it
down against the wind. I think carpet would attract slugs and possibly break
the tops.

Fleece it is then!

Old 13-02-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:13:05 +0100, David in Normandy
wrote:

Well, I've taken a risk and started planting some potatoes
today. I normally wait until the end of March or beginning
of April but the weather the last couple of years meant
they went in late then all got hit with blight.

I've got some old carpet. Would it be worth while covering
the ground with that for the time being to keep them snug,
or should I wait until they start to come up? I've also got
some horticultural fleece - would it be better to put that
over after they poke through the soil rather than old
carpet?

Anyone else planted potatoes this early? Any tips?

I think the carpet would be a good idea for a few weeks.
I gather that the test for soil temperature, is to sit your bare
bottom on the soil and if it feels too cold, don't plant. You could,
of course, sit on the carpet!!!
Maybe a mini polytunnel would be a better idea.

Pam in Bristol