Old 22-02-2003, 01:51 AM
jammer

Default Zone 7A Flowering Ground Cover

This is to both responders:
The best thing i likes was the lamium. The irish moss was too much
like grass, the sedums are cool but like sunny and this is shade and
part sun. The albas, there are many, but i didn't find Nancy or
Herman's Pride. One of these didn't like my zone. I guess i will keep
looking. I have done much searching on the net before i ever posted
the question. I will ask a nursery about lamium. Thanks so much for
your time. Oh, and, the creeping jenny is under water in my pond. The
more it grows, the better quality of water i will have.
Thanks again,
juls

On 21 Feb 2003 05:58:57 -0800, (jcart003)
wrote:

Have you considered lamium- tough as nails and I have blooms every
time the weather isn't below 32 for a week! (zone 6b) comes in pink,
white or "red". 3-6 inches high, blooms on new growth so can be
trimmed, 1 plant =2feet across in 1 season no problem, but still easy
to control.

Irish/scotch moss- 1 inch high w/tiny flowers spring only nice, can
take foot traffic likes it a bit dry, looks nice in stones.

Various veronicas- I have "georgia blue" sky blue flowers mostly in
spring, likes dry, super tough 2-3 inches high. Also have a veronica
liawensis, it hasn't bloomed yet but should be similar to the other,
but lower and can tolerate foot traffic.

Corsican mint may work there, no flowers (that I have seen), may not
be hardy there.

Sedums- if the roots aren't wet they make interesting covers, I have
about 10 types!

wooly thyme- low interesting foliage, likes it very dry!

I also grow an herb and I can't think of the name for anything... it
is used in May wine, smells like new mown hay, has white flowers in
spring... leaves in whorls. I feel so stupid! I have grown thousands
in my greenhouse! any way it seems to do well with lamium.
Hope these help!

jammer