Old 13-02-2008, 04:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Dave Gillingham Dave Gillingham is offline

Default OK, Dave G. It happened. (3 pics)

Not really. See tha attached pic of what I *know* to be speciosum var hillii.
You may be thinking of var speciosum, var curvicaule, or var capricornicum - in
relative terms tha last is definitely short & stubby - p'bulbs only to 18" or
so. But so thick that one of our members refers to it as "a speciosum with
muscles" or " speciosum on steroids".

Graham, in your vast archives of our bushwalk photos, could you repost a photo
of a nice big hillii blooming in nature?

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:22:13 GMT, "Kye" wrote:

Doesn't hillii have shorter more stout pseudobulbs???

Kye.

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
.. .
Congratulations, Ray. For a first blooming, that's a beauty.

Re your reply to Wendy, about breaking it up: In the wild they grow to
huge
plants. Ross Harvey, to whose website I referred you, talks of dividing
his
with a chainsaw - and he's only half joking!

I'm not very knowledgeable on id-ing the sundry varieties of speciosum
and, once
line breeding comes into play, who knows anyhow. But to me it looks
rather like
variety hillii, which grows in SE Queensland & NE New South Wales.
Comments
from the other Aussies?

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 13:39:21 GMT, "Ray B" wrote:

You may recall my previous statement that "I don't grow dens" and Dave
Gillingham's urging that I really should.

Some time after "the big freeze" that wiped out a 20-year collection, Rod
Venger gave me a D. speciosum seedling, barely an inch and a half tall, 2
growths. It has now progressed to a :fist bloom seedling", some ten years
of abuse later.

As a reference, it's in an 8" basket, the double-spiked growth on the left
is 27" tall, and the width, tip if spike to opposite leaves on right is
52".

Dave Gillingham

Dave Gillingham

Attached Thumbnails
OK, Dave G.  It happened. (3 pics)-d-speciosum-hillii.jpg