Old 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default OK, Dave G. It happened. (3 pics)

You may recall my previous statement that "I don't grow dens" and Dave
Gillingham's urging that I really should.

Some time after "the big freeze" that wiped out a 20-year collection, Rod
Venger gave me a D. speciosum seedling, barely an inch and a half tall, 2
growths. It has now progressed to a :fist bloom seedling", some ten years
of abuse later.

As a reference, it's in an 8" basket, the double-spiked growth on the left
is 27" tall, and the width, tip if spike to opposite leaves on right is 52".

Attached Thumbnails
OK, Dave G.  It happened. (3 pics)-d_speciosum_plant.jpg   OK, Dave G.  It happened. (3 pics)-d_speciosum_spikes.jpg   OK, Dave G.  It happened. (3 pics)-d_speciosum_closeup.jpg
Old 09-02-2008, 06:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Good work Ray, so it's about 11yrs old +- ?
Do you happen to have a varietal name as it looks just like my guy.
I was at our local show here in Orange County & they are still a hot
item & are
going for $150 for 4 or 5 pseudos.
Cheers Wendy

Old 09-02-2008, 08:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Sorry, Wendy. The tag is buried somewhere among all the pseudobulbs. I
won't know until I finally decide to break it up, but now that it's gotten
this big, I hate to do it.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 05:39:21 -0800, Ray B wrote
(in article d2irj.335$gg1.0@trnddc01):

You may recall my previous statement that "I don't grow dens" and Dave
Gillingham's urging that I really should.

Some time after "the big freeze" that wiped out a 20-year collection, Rod
Venger gave me a D. speciosum seedling, barely an inch and a half tall, 2
growths. It has now progressed to a :fist bloom seedling", some ten years
of abuse later.

As a reference, it's in an 8" basket, the double-spiked growth on the left
is 27" tall, and the width, tip if spike to opposite leaves on right is 52".

Good growing, Ray!

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 10-02-2008, 05:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Congratulations, Ray. For a first blooming, that's a beauty.

Re your reply to Wendy, about breaking it up: In the wild they grow to huge
plants. Ross Harvey, to whose website I referred you, talks of dividing his
with a chainsaw - and he's only half joking!

I'm not very knowledgeable on id-ing the sundry varieties of speciosum and, once
line breeding comes into play, who knows anyhow. But to me it looks rather like
variety hillii, which grows in SE Queensland & NE New South Wales. Comments
from the other Aussies?

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 13:39:21 GMT, "Ray B" wrote:

You may recall my previous statement that "I don't grow dens" and Dave
Gillingham's urging that I really should.

Some time after "the big freeze" that wiped out a 20-year collection, Rod
Venger gave me a D. speciosum seedling, barely an inch and a half tall, 2
growths. It has now progressed to a :fist bloom seedling", some ten years
of abuse later.

As a reference, it's in an 8" basket, the double-spiked growth on the left
is 27" tall, and the width, tip if spike to opposite leaves on right is 52".

Dave Gillingham

Old 13-02-2008, 04:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Not really. See tha attached pic of what I *know* to be speciosum var hillii.
You may be thinking of var speciosum, var curvicaule, or var capricornicum - in
relative terms tha last is definitely short & stubby - p'bulbs only to 18" or
so. But so thick that one of our members refers to it as "a speciosum with
muscles" or " speciosum on steroids".

Graham, in your vast archives of our bushwalk photos, could you repost a photo
of a nice big hillii blooming in nature?

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:22:13 GMT, "Kye" wrote:

Doesn't hillii have shorter more stout pseudobulbs???

Kye.

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

OK, Dave G.  It happened. (3 pics)-d-speciosum-hillii.jpg

Rate This Thread: