Old 13-02-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Planting potatoes early?

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:13:05 +0100, David in Normandy
wrote:

Well, I've taken a risk and started planting some potatoes
today. I normally wait until the end of March or beginning
of April but the weather the last couple of years meant
they went in late then all got hit with blight.

I've got some old carpet. Would it be worth while covering
the ground with that for the time being to keep them snug,
or should I wait until they start to come up? I've also got
some horticultural fleece - would it be better to put that
over after they poke through the soil rather than old
carpet?

Anyone else planted potatoes this early? Any tips?

I think the carpet would be a good idea for a few weeks.
I gather that the test for soil temperature, is to sit your bare
bottom on the soil and if it feels too cold, don't plant. You could,
of course, sit on the carpet!!!
Maybe a mini polytunnel would be a better idea.

Pam in Bristol