Old 13-02-2008, 11:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Peter Corser Peter Corser is offline

Default Keeping Duck Out

Davy wrote:
I have a recent 6m x 5m pond that in its first Spring last year was
completely wrecked by a pair of mallard. We had to mount constant
vigils to chase them off.
So this year it will be temporary green nylon garden netting in the
spring. Can anybody advise me on using netting for this purpose? For
instance do I need to almost 'hermetically' seal the pond or would
the ducks be deterred by netting fixed about a metre over the pond
(just enough to clear the plants) with the sides left open? Or would
it be sufficient to net around the perimeter?

I would be grateful for any advice from anybody with experience.

Davy

We just let them stay and eventually had to remove some of the pondside
fencing to allow the ducklings to get in & out of the pond!

Have had at least 2 different pairs produce 6 broods over the last 5 years
(two different ground nest sites) and get regular visits during the winter -
they have us trained - coming up to the patio door and looking in to see
where the feeding machines (us!) are. They are totally unfazed by the cat
as long as he is on the other side of the glass and have never lost any
ducklings to him. Cats going near ducklings get the full harassment
treatment from the parents!

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser