Old 13-02-2008, 01:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Keeping Duck Out

I have a recent 6m x 5m pond that in its first Spring last year was
completely wrecked by a pair of mallard. We had to mount constant vigils to
chase them off.
So this year it will be temporary green nylon garden netting in the spring.
Can anybody advise me on using netting for this purpose? For instance do I
need to almost 'hermetically' seal the pond or would the ducks be deterred
by netting fixed about a metre over the pond (just enough to clear the
plants) with the sides left open? Or would it be sufficient to net around
the perimeter?

I would be grateful for any advice from anybody with experience.

Davy

Old 13-02-2008, 05:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'd try the first method, leaving room for plants in hopes
that the duck would feel unsafe about not having flying
as an escape route. Then you could always try the
sealing method.
Any chance of borrowing a Jack Russell terrorist...
ahem, make that - terrier?

And I can't let this opportunity pass without reposting
one of the more famous rec.ponds posts about ducks.
Hope the laughs help you get thru your current situation....

Old 13-02-2008, 11:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Davy wrote:
I have a recent 6m x 5m pond that in its first Spring last year was
completely wrecked by a pair of mallard. We had to mount constant
vigils to chase them off.
So this year it will be temporary green nylon garden netting in the
spring. Can anybody advise me on using netting for this purpose? For
instance do I need to almost 'hermetically' seal the pond or would
the ducks be deterred by netting fixed about a metre over the pond
(just enough to clear the plants) with the sides left open? Or would
it be sufficient to net around the perimeter?

I would be grateful for any advice from anybody with experience.

Davy

We just let them stay and eventually had to remove some of the pondside
fencing to allow the ducklings to get in & out of the pond!

Have had at least 2 different pairs produce 6 broods over the last 5 years
(two different ground nest sites) and get regular visits during the winter -
they have us trained - coming up to the patio door and looking in to see
where the feeding machines (us!) are. They are totally unfazed by the cat
as long as he is on the other side of the glass and have never lost any
ducklings to him. Cats going near ducklings get the full harassment
treatment from the parents!

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK

Old 14-02-2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Davy,

You might as well join them. Given them a name and relax. Kathy is right,
you're not going to get rid of them. Us, we've named ours Hunky & Dory. Been
coming back three years now. Looking forward to seeing them any day now.

John

--

\\\|///
\\ - - //

om...

Old 14-02-2008, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:26:05 CST, "Davy"
wrote:

I have a recent 6m x 5m pond that in its first Spring last year was
completely wrecked by a pair of mallard. We had to mount constant vigils to
chase them off.
So this year it will be temporary green nylon garden netting in the spring.
Can anybody advise me on using netting for this purpose? For instance do I
need to almost 'hermetically' seal the pond or would the ducks be deterred
by netting fixed about a metre over the pond (just enough to clear the
plants) with the sides left open? Or would it be sufficient to net around
the perimeter?

I would be grateful for any advice from anybody with experience.

Davy

We had ducks come to the Demon Pond, we tried netting just above the pond,
they landed and waddled in, so we had to cover to ground. We only had to do
this till the canals started flowing, then we took the net off and all was
fine.

Ducks can royally mess with a small pond, too much fertilizer for any
filter, pull up plants and bring in lots of nasty algae, bacteria and
parasites. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-02-2008, 04:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I wonder what the thread would be like if we were talking about pet
geese, instead of ducks?

--
Chris "thinking of getting a couple of pet greater Canada geese" Barnes

kathy wrote:
[...]

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
"Usenet really is all about standing around and hitting the ground
with clubs, on a spot where many years earlier a dead horse lay."

Old 15-02-2008, 02:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter Corser wrote:
Davy wrote:
[...]

Update

Our pair were back this morning checking out all the old nest sites, plus
one or two new ones!

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK

Old 15-02-2008, 08:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks everyone for the advice, but I'm afraid that allowing the ducks
access is not possible - they either upturned or turned out every basket and
ate all our frog spawn and newts.
So have ordered tough netting from ebay but the widest I could find was 2m.
So now I have to find a way of fixing it!

cheers

Davy

om...

Old 15-02-2008, 08:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"kathy" wrote in message
I'd try the first method, leaving room for plants in hopes
that the duck would feel unsafe about not having flying
as an escape route. Then you could always try the
sealing method.
Any chance of borrowing a Jack Russell terrorist...
ahem, make that - terrier?

And I can't let this opportunity pass without reposting
one of the more famous rec.ponds posts about ducks.
Hope the laughs help you get thru your current situation....

That was halarious. :-D

Old 15-02-2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Chris Barnes" wrote in message
I wonder what the thread would be like if we were talking about pet geese,
instead of ducks?

--
Chris "thinking of getting a couple of pet greater Canada geese" Barnes

Better buy a good pair of water and manure proof rubber boots to cross your
lawn. ;-)

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.