Old 14-02-2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Landscaping Question

On Feb 14, 5:07�pm, "long eddy" wrote:
Greetings all,
I live in Zone 5 (Catskills Region of New York State).

Hi neighbor!

I'd like to plant 4 to 6 10 to 14 foot spruce trees on my sdie lawn for
screening.

The side lawn gets plenty of sun.

Will trees of that height take as transplants?

Sure, if you can afford them... and who will plant them for you...
nice specimen quality trees that size might cost $1,000 each and will
have a root ball that weighs about a half ton, might cost $500 each to
have professionally planted

What kinds of spruce trees would be appropriate?

Colorado blue spruce would be nice. Norway spruce cost less and grow
faster. I would plant smaller trees (about 2'-3') that you can handle
on your own and wait for them to grow... you will be able to shear/
shape them better... for privacy/wind break you will need at least a
double row, staggered.