Old 14-02-2008, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Landscaping Question

Greetings all,
I live in Zone 5 (Catskills Region of New York State).

I'd like to plant 4 to 6 10 to 14 foot spruce trees on my sdie lawn for
screening.

The side lawn gets plenty of sun.

Will trees of that height take as transplants?

What kinds of spruce trees would be appropriate?

Any URL's would be helpful.

Thanking all in advance.

Eddy Long

Old 14-02-2008, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

When planting some trees here is information I would desire to be aware of.
Best I can do for you.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 14-02-2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 14, 5:07�pm, "long eddy" wrote:
Greetings all,
I live in Zone 5 (Catskills Region of New York State).

Hi neighbor!

I'd like to plant 4 to 6 10 to 14 foot spruce trees on my sdie lawn for
screening.

The side lawn gets plenty of sun.

Will trees of that height take as transplants?

Sure, if you can afford them... and who will plant them for you...
nice specimen quality trees that size might cost $1,000 each and will
have a root ball that weighs about a half ton, might cost $500 each to
have professionally planted

What kinds of spruce trees would be appropriate?

Colorado blue spruce would be nice. Norway spruce cost less and grow
faster. I would plant smaller trees (about 2'-3') that you can handle
on your own and wait for them to grow... you will be able to shear/
shape them better... for privacy/wind break you will need at least a
double row, staggered.
Old 14-02-2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"long eddy" wrote in
:

Greetings all,
I live in Zone 5 (Catskills Region of New York State).

I'd like to plant 4 to 6 10 to 14 foot spruce trees on my
sdie lawn for screening.

screening from what? wind? neighbor too close? outbuildings?
how much lateral area do you have (how wide is your side
yard)? where is your septic system?

The side lawn gets plenty of sun.

how much do you think is "plenty"? all day? half day? morning
or afternoon?

Will trees of that height take as transplants?

yes, if you can afford trees that size & the heavy equipment
to plant them.

What kinds of spruce trees would be appropriate?

blue, white, Norway.
blue makes the best spruce beer though.
if you want them for screening or a wind break, two staggered
rows are better than a single row & you're talking a width of
20 or more feet.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 15-02-2008, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

How about spruce trees at a height of 6 to 8 feet - not 10 to 14 feet.

What would be the cost per tree?

Also, how many inches would they grow per year in Zone 5 with partial to
full sun?

Many thanks,
Eddy Long

Old 15-02-2008, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"long eddy" wrote in message
How about spruce trees at a height of 6 to 8 feet - not 10 to 14 feet.

What would be the cost per tree?

Also, how many inches would they grow per year in Zone 5 with partial to
full sun?

Many thanks,
Eddy Long

Cost per tree? Please don't expect anyone to do your homework for you. Call
some local nurseries and ask. If anyone here quotes you a price, they're
giving you history that probably won't apply to you. Maybe not even close.

Old 15-02-2008, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"long eddy" wrote:
How about spruce trees at a height of 6 to 8 feet - not 10 to 14 feet.

What would be the cost per tree?

Also, how many inches would they grow per year in Zone 5 with partial to
full sun?

Sun has little to do with it, that spruce trees need full sun goes
without saying... but they also need decent soil and moisture.

You seem to be in a big hurry, how old are you that you're racing old
father time? Trees take time to grow, they are not instant. And even
if you plant mature trees they will not grow at all the first 3-5
years as they will be in shock from being dug up, and some may not
make it. Were it me I'd plant young potted trees, and plant extra.

I have many thousands of Norway spruce on my property, all sizes as
hundreds are from reseeding over the years. I wouldn't attempt to
move any myself that are more than about 2' tall. You can figure that
Norway spruce will grow betwen 6" and 2' a year, weather plays a big
part. In forty years a 2' tree will reach between 50' and 70'.
Colorado spruce will grow about half as much. I think Norway spruce
make a better screen/windbreak, they do much better packed close
together than Colorado spruce. Norway spruce also hold up much better
to heavy snows... with Colorado spruce you'll have to be out there
many times during a heavy snow with a broom sweeping the branches or
they will break off.

An excellent source for trees and information near where you live:
http://www.storysnursery.com

Old 15-02-2008, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Eddy inquired about using spruce trees as a screen from prying eyes....

Remember this about trees of most varieties, especially spruce: that as they
grow up they also grow out. We have lived at our present address for 13
years. When we moved here there were three beautiful 15 ft. tall Blue
Spruce trees between our house and garage. As they gained height they
spread out thereby blocking the sidewalk and driveway with their not-so-soft
branches. We had to make a choice of either removing the lower branches or
removing the whole tree. We trimmed them so that a 6 ft. tall person could
walk under them without losing their hat. Grass does not grow well under
them either due to a lack of sun and water or the mulching effect of shed
needles. To add to this they seem to be losing a battle with a fungus that
has thinned out their once thick needles making them look more like
"overgrown Charlie Brown Christmas trees". It is easy to treat them when
they are within reach but they are now nearly 30+ ft tall and hard to
handle. The placement should be made with consideration of their future
height and diameter. Fran

Old 15-02-2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 15, 7:33�am, "Some Buddy Else"
wrote:
[...]

Not quite sure what point you're making, obviously all plants need to
be placed with consideration that they grow. It seems that's exactly
the OP's main concern, he is desirerous of rapid growth.

When spruce trees are planted densely in groups as for privacy
screening/windbreaks it's only the exterior perimeter portions and
very tops that receive full sunlight that will grow outward, the
interior portions will barely branch out at all and what branches
formed previously will die and fall off the trunk... yet they'll still
grow well as that's precisely how they grow naturally in forests.
Whenever you see a perfectly shaped lone spruce tree growing in a lawn
it should be obvious that it was specifically planted there as a
specimen tree, in nature spruce does not grow solitary.

Norway Spruce:
http://i32.tinypic.com/33at2cy.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/nzri2b.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/30uedc0.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/2ebfytv.jpg

I see you too:
http://i25.tinypic.com/k1end.jpg

Old 18-02-2008, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:
"long eddy" wrote:

How about spruce trees at a height of 6 to 8 feet - not 10 to 14 feet.

What would be the cost per tree?

Also, how many inches would they grow per year in Zone 5 with partial to
full sun?

Many thanks,
Eddy Long

New York State has an excellent land grant University called Cornell.
Search for the Cornell Cooperative Extension in your county and they
can tell you exactly what to plant, how and when. �A good wind break
should be made up of several species, spaced properly so if any fail
you won't have huge gaping holes in the screen. �Do not be tempted to
use fast growing trees of any kind and seek the moderate growers. Much
stronger. �Also look for your local chapter of the Native Plant
Society in your region.

Had you read the original post carefully you'd note that the OP is
only wanting to plant 4-6 trees, for *privacy*, not a hedgerow/
windbreak as one would want for seperating farmland acreage/pastures.
With only 4-6 trees desired it should be obvious that there isn't
space to plant what you suggest... and he'd like to live long enough
to see his trees grow... often reality and practicality usurps theory.

I happen to live in the same area as the OP, I know from my own
personal experience that for an *all year* privacy screen in this
locale no other tree will do the job nearly as well as the Norway
spruce. Mixed evergreens don't do well, and deciduous trees offer
little to no privacy and in time will likely kill off the evergreens.
For a privacy screen I would definitely chose all one type of spruce;
Norway and Colorado cannot coexist in close proximity, in less than
ten yers the Colorado spruce will become smothered to death. Of the
two Norway is heartier and faster growing, it also will achieve twice
the size, so if there is a space limitation I would then go with the
Colorado. I'm sure there are other choices but as is often the case
with usenet long eddy appears to be gone, so there is no way to
discuss details regarding his property.

Old 18-02-2008, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

I'm sure there are other choices but as is often the case
with usenet long eddy appears to be gone, so there is no way to
discuss details regarding his property.

And yet you've decided you're the bottom line expert on the situation.
Uh-huh.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 18-02-2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 18, 3:32�pm, Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

I'm sure there are other choices but as is often the case
with usenet long eddy appears to be gone, so there is no way to
discuss details regarding his property.

And yet you've decided you're the bottom line expert on the situation.
Uh-huh.

Ann, you're as utile as used toilet paper. If you were as capable of
reading comprehension as you are at snot nosed smarminessness and
removal from context you'd have known that the OP specifically
requested spruce trees. Without further discussion with long eddy
it's fruitless to conceptualize alternatives... but then mental
masturbation is obviously your forte... and naturally as per usual
your offering is... nothing.

Old 19-02-2008, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

On Feb 18, 3:32?pm, Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

I'm sure there are other choices but as is often the case
with usenet long eddy appears to be gone, so there is no way to
discuss details regarding his property.

And yet you've decided you're the bottom line expert on the situation.
Uh-huh.

Ann, you're as utile as used toilet paper. If you were as capable of
reading comprehension as you are at snot nosed smarminessness and
removal from context you'd have known that the OP specifically
requested spruce trees. Without further discussion with long eddy
it's fruitless to conceptualize alternatives... but then mental
masturbation is obviously your forte... and naturally as per usual
your offering is... nothing.

At least my nothing is said in fewer words than yours.
Old 19-02-2008, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 18, 11:10�pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:56:50 -0800 (PST), Sheldon
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
"long eddy" �wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, you just left out approximately 100 or more species
which would do the job. �

You must be Ann's alter ego... from 100 you offer not even ONE!