Old 15-02-2008, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Some Buddy Else Some Buddy Else is offline

Default Landscaping Question

Eddy inquired about using spruce trees as a screen from prying eyes....

Remember this about trees of most varieties, especially spruce: that as they
grow up they also grow out. We have lived at our present address for 13
years. When we moved here there were three beautiful 15 ft. tall Blue
Spruce trees between our house and garage. As they gained height they
spread out thereby blocking the sidewalk and driveway with their not-so-soft
branches. We had to make a choice of either removing the lower branches or
removing the whole tree. We trimmed them so that a 6 ft. tall person could
walk under them without losing their hat. Grass does not grow well under
them either due to a lack of sun and water or the mulching effect of shed
needles. To add to this they seem to be losing a battle with a fungus that
has thinned out their once thick needles making them look more like
"overgrown Charlie Brown Christmas trees". It is easy to treat them when
they are within reach but they are now nearly 30+ ft tall and hard to
handle. The placement should be made with consideration of their future
height and diameter. Fran