Old 05-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Keith Edkins

Default beetles that look like ladybug but not;

"James" wrote in message
.. .

"Keith Edkins" wrote in message
Given that E. varivestis is a spotted Coccinellid, in what sense is it

not
ladybird/ladybug?

Do we have a syllogism here?
1) Ladybirds are beneficial
2) E. varivestis is a pest
3) Therefore E. varivestis is not a ladybird

Just wondering. Don't think I'm likely to meet them here in England!

I don't think he mentioned them being a pest.. You injected that.

I took it from the University of Florida:
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/be...ean_beetle.htm
"This family (Coccinellidae) is very important economically, since it
includes some highly beneficial insects as well as two serious pests: the
squash lady beetle, Epilachna borealis Fabricius, and the Mexican bean
beetle, Epilachna varivestis Mulsant. "

Keith