Old 21-02-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default tillers, rotavators, and cultivators: what's the difference?

HI Fred

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:59:02 GMT, Fred
wrote:

Hello,

Please can you tell me what is the difference between a tiller,
rotavator, and a cultivator, or are they all the same thing?

I have taken on an allotment and I've started digging but my back is
getting tired so I thought about some mechanical help!

I was thinking of hiring something and there is an HSS shop that I
drive past most days. They have what they call a tiller, a digger, and
a rotavator, as found he

http://www.hss.com/c/1014440/Garden-Clearance.html

Has anyone used any of these and what were your opinions?

I was thinking of saving money and using the tiller (cheapest). The
paper catalogue says it is suitable for gardens and allotments but it
also says "not for large areas or uncultivated ground". What are the
definitions of large and uncultivated? Will it be ok for my allotment
or not?

The digger seems to be the next size up. The catalogue says an estate
car is needed to fit it in but the shop manager said the handles fold
to half its size and it should fit into any car. What were your
experiences?

Thanks.

A lot depends on the current state of your allotment.....

The light-duty tiller might be ok if the ground has been cultivated in
the last year, and it really only needs very light work. Apart from
that, it's a bit of a 'toy' (IMHO)

The Power Digger (used to be called rotovators, I think) is a more
powerful beast - but, be warned, if your back isn't too good then they
require a fair amount of strength to maneouver. Better units have
forward and reverse gears - doesn't look as if the HSS one does.
When you get to the end of a row with one of these you have to
manhandle it through 180 degrees in order to go back down the other
way. Even when you're going in straight lines the thing would rather
'run along the surface' instead of 'digging' - and you may have to put
a lot of effort in to stop it from taking off.

By far the best piece of equipment that I've ever used is (sadly) the
most expensive. There are usually fitted with powered wheels, a range
of gears and adjustable handles - probably the least effort of all
three machines to use. I was loaned one by the fellow who sold me our
new polytunnel - and it was a joy to use (relatively speaking).... but
I couldn't justify the 4000+ euro to buy one just for our little area.

Another possibility - you might find a local 'stout fellow' who would
give the allotment a good dig for less money than hiring a power
digger - just a thought ..?

Good luck
Adrian