Old 21-02-2008, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tillers, rotavators, and cultivators: what's the difference?

Hello,

Please can you tell me what is the difference between a tiller,
rotavator, and a cultivator, or are they all the same thing?

I have taken on an allotment and I've started digging but my back is
getting tired so I thought about some mechanical help!

I was thinking of hiring something and there is an HSS shop that I
drive past most days. They have what they call a tiller, a digger, and
a rotavator, as found he

http://www.hss.com/c/1014440/Garden-Clearance.html

Has anyone used any of these and what were your opinions?

I was thinking of saving money and using the tiller (cheapest). The
paper catalogue says it is suitable for gardens and allotments but it
also says "not for large areas or uncultivated ground". What are the
definitions of large and uncultivated? Will it be ok for my allotment
or not?

The digger seems to be the next size up. The catalogue says an estate
car is needed to fit it in but the shop manager said the handles fold
to half its size and it should fit into any car. What were your
experiences?

Thanks.
Old 21-02-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Fred

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:59:02 GMT, Fred
wrote:

[...]

A lot depends on the current state of your allotment.....

The light-duty tiller might be ok if the ground has been cultivated in
the last year, and it really only needs very light work. Apart from
that, it's a bit of a 'toy' (IMHO)

The Power Digger (used to be called rotovators, I think) is a more
powerful beast - but, be warned, if your back isn't too good then they
require a fair amount of strength to maneouver. Better units have
forward and reverse gears - doesn't look as if the HSS one does.
When you get to the end of a row with one of these you have to
manhandle it through 180 degrees in order to go back down the other
way. Even when you're going in straight lines the thing would rather
'run along the surface' instead of 'digging' - and you may have to put
a lot of effort in to stop it from taking off.

By far the best piece of equipment that I've ever used is (sadly) the
most expensive. There are usually fitted with powered wheels, a range
of gears and adjustable handles - probably the least effort of all
three machines to use. I was loaned one by the fellow who sold me our
new polytunnel - and it was a joy to use (relatively speaking).... but
I couldn't justify the 4000+ euro to buy one just for our little area.

Another possibility - you might find a local 'stout fellow' who would
give the allotment a good dig for less money than hiring a power
digger - just a thought ..?

Good luck
Adrian
Old 21-02-2008, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Adrian says...
The Power Digger (used to be called rotovators, I think) is a more
powerful beast - but, be warned, if your back isn't too good then they
require a fair amount of strength to maneouver. Better units have
forward and reverse gears - doesn't look as if the HSS one does.
When you get to the end of a row with one of these you have to
manhandle it through 180 degrees in order to go back down the other
way. Even when you're going in straight lines the thing would rather
'run along the surface' instead of 'digging' - and you may have to put
a lot of effort in to stop it from taking off.

I have a rotovator, Briggs and Stratton engine. Only cost
499 euros (~ £350)brand new and has had lots of work over
the last two years. As you mention the hardest work is
breaking new ground, the machine tends to run away rather
than dig in so you need to push it down a bit to make it
bite. You still need several passes to reach a decent
depth. However after the first pass it digs nicely without
running away. Beware large rocks or boulders though as they
can bend the tines or cause other damage.

A reverse gear is useful as mentioned, especially if you
are cultivating right up to a boundary fence etc. I have to
be quite careful with my reverse gear however - there is a
lever on the handlebar that you have to PUSH to make the
rotovator reverse. As the reverse speed is quite high it
tends to push the lever against you quite hard making which
makes stopping it reversing a bit tricky if you don't have
your wits about you. It would be quite easy to be knocked
over backwards and run over by the rotovator. Not a
prospect I'd relish, so it pays to make sure there is
nothing behind you to trip over and that you are very alert
to removing your hand quickly from the reverse lever.

Anyway, a rotovator is a smashing tool for use on a decent
sized veg plot. I'd hate to go back to using a spade again.
You can do in minutes each year what took many hours of
digging by hand.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Old 21-02-2008, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 21 Feb, 12:59, Fred wrote:
[...]

If you've mowed off the brambles etc and cleared the surface debris
the big one (Rotavator/cultivator) will bust up any matted nettle
roots etc. You'll probably only need it for a day - get 'em to deliver
it bright and early.
From then on digging should be relatively easy - there may still be a
certain amount of junk exposed by the machine so after rotavating I'd
prepare by hand a smallish area for your first crops and then towards
the end of next month spray off any weeds on the rest of the plot
before going on to finish preparing for your later crops. I lean
towards avoiding chemicals on my plot but even so this first and
probably only spray will give you a good clean easy start. Spray? -
'Roundup' or anything else that contains the active ingredient
Glyphosate. Shop around, read the labels because some are much better
value than others.
Old 21-02-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:56:00 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

The light-duty tiller might be ok if the ground has been cultivated in
the last year, and it really only needs very light work. Apart from
that, it's a bit of a 'toy' (IMHO)

Both you and they have said it's not for use on uncultivated ground so
that's good; there's a consensus!

Does that mean if the ground has already been dug it would be ok to
use it. In other words, if the ground is unbroken, the tiller will not
break the soil and will skate on top?

TIA

Old 21-02-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Fred

wrote:

The light-duty tiller might be ok if the ground has been cultivated in
the last year, and it really only needs very light work. Apart from
that, it's a bit of a 'toy' (IMHO)

Both you and they have said it's not for use on uncultivated ground so
that's good; there's a consensus!

Does that mean if the ground has already been dug it would be ok to
use it. In other words, if the ground is unbroken, the tiller will not
break the soil and will skate on top?

To be honest - I've never used one of the smallest machines - but have
experience of the other 2.

If the ground is truly 'uncultivated' (as in converting grassland into
a veg or lower bed) then I'd go for the big machine. Even the
rotovator will be a handful on 'virgin' ground.

As I understand it, the little machine would be used where the ground
was cultivated last year and you just wanted to turn it over befroe
planting - no real 'grunt' in the machine at all g

Hope this helps
Adrian
Old 21-02-2008, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Looking at the machines and their prices, I would phone round and see
if there is a man with a howard gem or similar rotovator who would do
the job for you at a price, it would probably be more cost efective
than trying to do it your self.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 21-02-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

If there's a farm nearby, it should be possible to get the tractor geezer to
come round and plough the plot for you in 2 minutes. Our local farmer
charges £30 for this. Cash, natch.

Steve

Old 22-02-2008, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

The light-duty tiller might be ok if the ground has been cultivated in
the last year, and it really only needs very light work. Apart from
that, it's a bit of a 'toy' (IMHO)

Both you and they have said it's not for use on uncultivated ground so
that's good; there's a consensus!

Does that mean if the ground has already been dug it would be ok to
use it. In other words, if the ground is unbroken, the tiller will not
break the soil and will skate on top?

TIA

Yes on both counts - if there's a mat of vegetation like brambles or
long grass it just gets wrapped round and drags the machine along at a
great rate of knots. With the big machine the wheels are in charge and
they control the forward speed unless the rotor gets hold of something
really nasty.
Old 24-02-2008, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:31:51 -0800 (PST), Rod
wrote:

if there's a mat of vegetation like brambles or
long grass it just gets wrapped round and drags the machine along at a
great rate of knots. With the big machine the wheels are in charge and
they control the forward speed unless the rotor gets hold of something
really nasty.

Thanks. But in my case I have already cleared the ground of brambles
and grass, so do I need the big one? The only thing I haven't done yet
is dig it all over. I've started but not got far; that's why I'm
looking at these

Old 24-02-2008, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

Please can you tell me what is the difference between a tiller,
rotavator, and a cultivator, or are they all the same thing?

I have taken on an allotment and I've started digging but my back is
getting tired so I thought about some mechanical help!

I was thinking of hiring something and there is an HSS shop that I
drive past most days. They have what they call a tiller, a digger, and
a rotavator, as found he

http://www.hss.com/c/1014440/Garden-Clearance.html

Has anyone used any of these and what were your opinions?

I use the Honda tiller that is listed on your link and am very impressed
with it's performance.
Have a look on e-bay, I got mine there, it's more expensive than hiring
in the short term but if you are going to keep your allotment on for a long
time then it would be more economical to buy.
I had a quick look and found this, looks like a bargain.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAXTRA-4HP-Pet...QQcmdZViewItem
There are lots more to look at.
HTH

Wally

Old 24-02-2008, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
if there's a mat of vegetation like brambles or
long grass it just gets wrapped round and drags the machine along at a
great rate of knots. With the big machine the wheels are in charge and
they control the forward speed unless the rotor gets hold of something
really nasty.

Thanks. But in my case I have already cleared the ground of brambles
and grass, so do I need the big one? The only thing I haven't done yet
is dig it all over. I've started but not got far; that's why I'm
looking at these

Yes, if you haven't dug out the roots. There's most likely to be a
tough mat of bramble, nettle and grass roots and it's hell to dig
through and hard work for small machines. As I said previously that's
what you want the powerful machine for, from then on you should be
able to cope easily enough with handwork and some spraying of
uncropped areas when the weeds have sufficient foliage for the spray
to work on.