Old 21-02-2008, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tillers, rotavators, and cultivators: what's the difference?

Adrian says...
The Power Digger (used to be called rotovators, I think) is a more
powerful beast - but, be warned, if your back isn't too good then they
require a fair amount of strength to maneouver. Better units have
forward and reverse gears - doesn't look as if the HSS one does.
When you get to the end of a row with one of these you have to
manhandle it through 180 degrees in order to go back down the other
way. Even when you're going in straight lines the thing would rather
'run along the surface' instead of 'digging' - and you may have to put
a lot of effort in to stop it from taking off.

I have a rotovator, Briggs and Stratton engine. Only cost
499 euros (~ £350)brand new and has had lots of work over
the last two years. As you mention the hardest work is
breaking new ground, the machine tends to run away rather
than dig in so you need to push it down a bit to make it
bite. You still need several passes to reach a decent
depth. However after the first pass it digs nicely without
running away. Beware large rocks or boulders though as they
can bend the tines or cause other damage.

A reverse gear is useful as mentioned, especially if you
are cultivating right up to a boundary fence etc. I have to
be quite careful with my reverse gear however - there is a
lever on the handlebar that you have to PUSH to make the
rotovator reverse. As the reverse speed is quite high it
tends to push the lever against you quite hard making which
makes stopping it reversing a bit tricky if you don't have
your wits about you. It would be quite easy to be knocked
over backwards and run over by the rotovator. Not a
prospect I'd relish, so it pays to make sure there is
nothing behind you to trip over and that you are very alert
to removing your hand quickly from the reverse lever.

Anyway, a rotovator is a smashing tool for use on a decent
sized veg plot. I'd hate to go back to using a spade again.
You can do in minutes each year what took many hours of
digging by hand.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.