Old 21-02-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default tillers, rotavators, and cultivators: what's the difference?

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 21 Feb, 18:57, Adrian wrote:
HI Fred

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:44:16 GMT, Fred
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:56:00 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

The light-duty tiller might be ok if the ground has been cultivated in
the last year, and it really only needs very light work. Apart from
that, it's a bit of a 'toy' (IMHO)

Both you and they have said it's not for use on uncultivated ground so
that's good; there's a consensus!

Does that mean if the ground has already been dug it would be ok to
use it. In other words, if the ground is unbroken, the tiller will not
break the soil and will skate on top?

To be honest - I've never used one of the smallest machines - but have
experience of the other 2.

If the ground is truly 'uncultivated' (as in converting grassland into
a veg or lower bed) then I'd go for the big machine. Even the
rotovator will be a handful on 'virgin' ground.

As I understand it, the little machine would be used where the ground
was cultivated last year and you just wanted to turn it over befroe
planting - no real 'grunt' in the machine at all g

Hope this helps
Adrian

Looking at the machines and their prices, I would phone round and see
if there is a man with a howard gem or similar rotovator who would do
the job for you at a price, it would probably be more cost efective
than trying to do it your self.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

If there's a farm nearby, it should be possible to get the tractor geezer to
come round and plough the plot for you in 2 minutes. Our local farmer
charges £30 for this. Cash, natch.

Steve