Old 22-02-2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Horseradish in Containers?

Sheldon wrote:
On Feb 22, 10:55�am, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
I love horseradish.. Just love it.. Not that crap sauce that's mixed
with mayo.. The good stuff that's blended up into a spicy paste.
Mmmmmmmmmmm.
Anyway.. Since it seems invasive I was wondering if it could be grown
within a container?
Yes
I don't see any reason why not.. Seems like a good idea, and if I used a
wash tub type of container it'd be wide and allow alot of root growth.
I figure then I can harvest the outside root growth and leave the inside
for regrowth in the next season.
Sound like a plan, or am I nuts?
It's fine
Hmmm.. Would I have to bring it in, or could it winter outside?
My climate isn't that cold but i think the top will die off and the roots go
dormant through winter. �If you want to be sure keep some roots over winter.
David

Good deal.. Sounds like I was spot on with that idea.. Thanks! - Hide quoted text -

You really need a container without a bottom... horseradish will grow
well contained inside a buried clay chimney flue liner.

Hmmm.. Ok, I'm game for trying that..

Question.. When buying starters, should I go with sets or crowns.. What
the heck is the difference?