Old 22-02-2008, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Horseradish in Containers?

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
On Feb 22, 10:55�am, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
I love horseradish.. Just love it.. Not that crap sauce that's mixed
with mayo.. The good stuff that's blended up into a spicy paste.
Mmmmmmmmmmm.
Anyway.. Since it seems invasive I was wondering if it could be grown
within a container?
Yes
I don't see any reason why not.. Seems like a good idea, and if I
used a
wash tub type of container it'd be wide and allow alot of root growth.
I figure then I can harvest the outside root growth and leave the
inside
for regrowth in the next season.
Sound like a plan, or am I nuts?
It's fine
Hmmm.. Would I have to bring it in, or could it winter outside?
My climate isn't that cold but i think the top will die off and the
roots go
dormant through winter. �If you want to be sure keep some roots over
winter.
David
Good deal.. Sounds like I was spot on with that idea.. Thanks! -

You really need a container without a bottom... horseradish will grow
well contained inside a buried clay chimney flue liner.

Hmmm.. Ok, I'm game for trying that..

Question.. When buying starters, should I go with sets or crowns.. What
the heck is the difference?

I've noticed that the fresh h'radish roots at the supermarket are
showing some little green sprouts at the crown. I'd just buy a root at
the store and use most of it and plant the crown. (I've been
considering doing just that, but I don't want it to take over my garden)

Bob