Old 24-02-2008, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default I have around 5 x 2m space, what can I do with it?

Maxim wrote:
Hello,

I have a 5 x 2m space which is filled with compost, this space used to
be a sandpit for when i was young and i decided it was time for a
change and now that i am 14 years of age, my parents helped me in
filling the space with fine multi purpose compost. It has a depth of
about id say 40 cm. What id like to ask, is what would you, from
personal experience suggest that i plant this year, i prefer plants
that i can harvest later on. Given that i live in North London in a
quite sub-urban environment, and the 5 x 2m space that i have, which
plants would you recommend i try. I am quite experienced and have
already planted many plants last year, some even tropical such as a
banana tree, unfortunately my spce calcualtions went wrong and i didnt
end up with much harvest!

Here is a photo of last years plantations:

[image: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4.../IMG_8486.jpg]

[image: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4.../IMG_8479.jpg]

Any Suggestions Will Be Greatly Appeciated!

P.S. The photo attachment tool didnt work! I resized within the
boundaries!

Although you live in London, and so will probably have a fairly mild
microclimate, it is not easy to tell from your photos whether or not the
plot is in shade. You do appear to have good shelter from the fence and
bushes/trees in the background. What you can grow well will depend on how
sunny or shaded the site is.

Are you interested in only fruit and veg, or will some flowers be welcome
too?

You could look at joining your local horticultural society. You will get
good local advice there, and probably discounts on plants and sundries (you
may even get free plants from other members!).

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)