Old 23-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Registered User

Question I have around 5 x 2m space, what can I do with it?

Hello,

I have a 5 x 2m space which is filled with compost, this space used to be a sandpit for when i was young and i decided it was time for a change and now that i am 14 years of age, my parents helped me in filling the space with fine multi purpose compost. It has a depth of about id say 40 cm. What id like to ask, is what would you, from personal experience suggest that i plant this year, i prefer plants that i can harvest later on. Given that i live in North London in a quite sub-urban environment, and the 5 x 2m space that i have, which plants would you recommend i try. I am quite experienced and have already planted many plants last year, some even tropical such as a banana tree, unfortunately my spce calcualtions went wrong and i didnt end up with much harvest!

Here is a photo of last years plantations:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...7/IMG_8486.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...7/IMG_8479.jpg

Any Suggestions Will Be Greatly Appeciated!

P.S. The photo attachment tool didnt work! I resized within the boundaries!
Old 23-02-2008, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I have around 5 x 2m space, what can I do with it?

[image: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4.../IMG_8486.jpg]

[image: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4.../IMG_8479.jpg]

--
Maxim

How about runner beans with any surplus space filled with a salad crop.
To be fair the possibilities are endless
Rog
http://www.rog.richieward.com

Old 24-02-2008, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:30:33 +0000, Maxim
wrote:

Hello,

I have a 5 x 2m space which is filled with compost, this space used to
be a sandpit for when i was young and i decided it was time for a
change and now that i am 14 years of age, my parents helped me in
filling the space with fine multi purpose compost. It has a depth of
about id say 40 cm. What id like to ask, is what would you, from
personal experience suggest that i plant this year, i prefer plants

What do you like eating?

that i can harvest later on. Given that i live in North London in a
quite sub-urban environment, and the 5 x 2m space that i have, which
plants would you recommend i try. I am quite experienced and have
already planted many plants last year, some even tropical such as a
banana tree, unfortunately my spce calcualtions went wrong and i didnt
end up with much harvest!

Here is a photo of last years plantations:

[image: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4.../IMG_8486.jpg]

[image: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4.../IMG_8479.jpg]

Any Suggestions Will Be Greatly Appeciated!

P.S. The photo attachment tool didnt work! I resized within the
boundaries!

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 24-02-2008, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23 Feb, 16:30, Maxim wrote:
Hello,

I have a 5 x 2m space which is filled with compost, this space used to
be a sandpit for when i was young and i decided it was time for a
change and now that i am 14 years of age, my parents helped me in
filling the space with fine multi purpose compost. It has a depth of
about id say 40 cm. What id like to ask, is what would you, from
personal experience suggest that i plant this year, i prefer plants
that i can harvest later on. Given that i live in North London in a
quite sub-urban environment, and the 5 x 2m space that i have, which
plants would you recommend i try. I am quite experienced and have
already planted many plants last year, some even tropical such as a
banana tree, unfortunately my spce calcualtions went wrong and i didnt
end up with much harvest!

My first thought is that 5x2M would make for an interesting gauge O
railway, or a wicked gauge 00, and you could plant minature conifers
to make some scenery. http://www.hornby.com/livesteam/. I'm nearly
60 and still want to do that.

But if you prefer farming to diaramas, I'd have thought that squash or
melons would do well and would give both a satisfying harvest and
lots of green matter to compost. I like "spaghetti marrows" which do
this neat trick of stringing up after you cook them. It's always good
to grow a couple of peppers or jalapinos in a corner, and a row of
herbs would take up less than one tenth of your space.

'main crops' like carrot, potato, parsnip hardly seem worth it in our
supermaket culture - go for things that you cannot get fresh enough:
broad beans fresh are a revelation. cos lettuce. white or pink
radish. celeriac. you'd use up hardly any space - maybe 0.3m x 2m
for a small trial of each to see what you enjoy growing. There is
always next year.

you could devote maybe 2mx2m to a fruit cage - raise a frame from
cheap wood or even canes, cover with netting to keep the birds out,
and plant raspberries, gooseberries, blackcurrants. You can't expect
a bumper crop the first year, except for strawberries, which would
love your location if it is sunny enough. Plant 3 varieties to give a
longer cropping season.

There is a huge amount of "beginners" advice on the web. The FAQs for
uk.rec.gardening (the usenet group upon which gardenbanter is
parasitic) is a good place to start. Then there are sites like
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/
www.rhs.org.uk/

Your plot is not very different in size from some allotments, and some
people manage to feed a family of 4 off an allotment all year. Have
you considered joining the local allotment association? It's a good
place for cheap seeds, bulk buying materials, and getting advice.

On which subject, do not patronise the garden sections of big DIY
chains, which bring in plants from all over the world and sell them as
commodities. Find a good, independant, privately owned garden centre
and use them - the prices won't be so very different, the plants will
already be accusomed to your local climate and probably chosen to suit
the soil types, and you will get intelligent and worthwhile advice.

Old 24-02-2008, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Maxim wrote:
[...]

Although you live in London, and so will probably have a fairly mild
microclimate, it is not easy to tell from your photos whether or not the
plot is in shade. You do appear to have good shelter from the fence and
bushes/trees in the background. What you can grow well will depend on how
sunny or shaded the site is.

Are you interested in only fruit and veg, or will some flowers be welcome
too?

You could look at joining your local horticultural society. You will get
good local advice there, and probably discounts on plants and sundries (you
may even get free plants from other members!).

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 24-02-2008, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Maxim
writes

[...]

The possibility of the plot being shaded has already been mentioned.
That will make some difference in what you can grow successfully.

One thing that you could try is successional cropping. For example you
could plant broad beans (of an appropriate cultivar) in the late autumn,
and with luck you can harvest them early enough to reclaim the space to
plant out seedlings of tomatoes (which I would think need a sunny
location) or courgettes.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Registered User

These replies are absolutely excellent! The Highgate garden centre provides a huger range of seeds so no problem there. I like the idea of herbs, as to add to salads at dinner and utilising the little spaces that cannot be used by anything else. Im not quite sure if any melons will survive though! I have been planting broad beans since the very beginning! With blackberries or rasberries im not very sure as there are plenty of wild species in our Hampstead Heath park in the deep wooded areas. I have plenty of cane and chicken wire i can use. Im thinking tomatoes? Yes id rather have something i can harvest and eat later on. However i do plant the Big Russian Giant sunflowers as they provide a very colourful addition! My mother also accepted the idea of buying one of those cubicals that are covered in plastic you can zip and unzip.
The planting location is sunny during the afternoon mostly as its located under trees and in North West. I also tried corn, which didnt prove much of a success, mostly in the later stages, any ideas why?
Old 28-02-2008, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Feb, 21:10, Maxim wrote:
I also tried corn, which didnt
prove much of a success, mostly in the later stages, any ideas why?

Maize?
Maize is wind-pollinated [1], and is commercially grown in large
blocks to ensure that the majority of the plants get pollinated. 3 or
4 stems in a garden, with no neighbours planting it, would be
problematic. I can imagine good vegetable growth but no seed set.

There are techniques for hand pollination which can be found on the
web, but they are intended for controlled cross-breeding rather than
forcing a small crop to maturity.

If you want to grow maize, you will need full sun all day - it really
needs that - and a block at least 2.5m square . The plants need to
be about half a metre apart. You need to grow them in pots and plant
them out to avoid pest damage. I've heard of people staking them, but
that wouldn't seem too necessary unless it is extremely windy. They
won't like that anyway.

You can underplant them with salad crops, because they grow very
vertically and there is a lot of bare soil there.

[1] All grasses are wind-pollinated.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered User

Yes, well unfortunately i think that have may been the case, when the maize finally got to the stages where it has a fluffy cotton like filling, i think this is when they have to be pollinated? They started to become weak and then died, however i think they were too small of a size to be pollinating at their stages?