Old 24-02-2008, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I have around 5 x 2m space, what can I do with it?

In message , Maxim
writes

Hello,

I have a 5 x 2m space which is filled with compost, this space used to
be a sandpit for when i was young and i decided it was time for a
change and now that i am 14 years of age, my parents helped me in
filling the space with fine multi purpose compost. It has a depth of
about id say 40 cm. What id like to ask, is what would you, from
personal experience suggest that i plant this year, i prefer plants
that i can harvest later on. Given that i live in North London in a
quite sub-urban environment, and the 5 x 2m space that i have, which
plants would you recommend i try. I am quite experienced and have
already planted many plants last year, some even tropical such as a
banana tree, unfortunately my spce calcualtions went wrong and i didnt
end up with much harvest!

Here is a photo of last years plantations:

[image: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4.../IMG_8486.jpg]

[image: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4.../IMG_8479.jpg]

Any Suggestions Will Be Greatly Appeciated!

P.S. The photo attachment tool didnt work! I resized within the
boundaries!

The possibility of the plot being shaded has already been mentioned.
That will make some difference in what you can grow successfully.

One thing that you could try is successional cropping. For example you
could plant broad beans (of an appropriate cultivar) in the late autumn,
and with luck you can harvest them early enough to reclaim the space to
plant out seedlings of tomatoes (which I would think need a sunny
location) or courgettes.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley