Old 26-02-2008, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Petunia question

On 26/2/08 02:12, in article , "Frank
Booth Snr" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 24/2/08 18:24, in article
, "Frank Booth
Snr" wrote:

I grew a trailing double-petalled white petunia in a window box which
was verysuccessful last season. I went onto my balcony ready to throw
away all the old annuals when noticed that on the Petunia new buds have
broken with fresh leaves just emerging. I've pruned the plant back quite
hard, with sevral old stems left with live buds.

Will this plant be expected to flourish for a second year?

No reason why not if it doesn't get frosted. You must be living somewhere
warm enough - this winter, at least - to allow it to be a perennial.

Just a window box on a London balcony. There have been plenty of night
frosts over the past few weeks and last November. Yet the plant has
survived and so have my trailing fuschias...so far.

Some of our Fuchsias are flowering still and haven't stopped - it's the tiny
flowered one which I find really enchanting. Obviously, your petunias have
enough protection from the house walls to be frost-free. Keep them going!
In autumn you might want to re-pot them in some fresh compost once they keep
flowering. In a mild environment I've kept trailing pelargoniums, petunias
and ballota going right through several winters.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk