Old 24-02-2008, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Petunia question

I grew a trailing double-petalled white petunia in a window box which
was verysuccessful last season. I went onto my balcony ready to throw
away all the old annuals when noticed that on the Petunia new buds have
broken with fresh leaves just emerging. I've pruned the plant back quite
hard, with sevral old stems left with live buds.

Will this plant be expected to flourish for a second year?
Old 25-02-2008, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:24:38 +0000, Frank Booth Snr
wrote:

I grew a trailing double-petalled white petunia in a window box which
was verysuccessful last season. I went onto my balcony ready to throw
away all the old annuals when noticed that on the Petunia new buds have
broken with fresh leaves just emerging. I've pruned the plant back quite
hard, with sevral old stems left with live buds.

Will this plant be expected to flourish for a second year?

A friend of mine keeps petunias overwinter and takes cuttings from the
new growth to give several plants for the next summer. Try it.

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-02-2008, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/2/08 02:12, in article , "Frank
Booth Snr" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 24/2/08 18:24, in article
, "Frank Booth
Snr" wrote:

I grew a trailing double-petalled white petunia in a window box which
was verysuccessful last season. I went onto my balcony ready to throw
away all the old annuals when noticed that on the Petunia new buds have
broken with fresh leaves just emerging. I've pruned the plant back quite
hard, with sevral old stems left with live buds.

Will this plant be expected to flourish for a second year?

No reason why not if it doesn't get frosted. You must be living somewhere
warm enough - this winter, at least - to allow it to be a perennial.

Just a window box on a London balcony. There have been plenty of night
frosts over the past few weeks and last November. Yet the plant has
survived and so have my trailing fuschias...so far.

Some of our Fuchsias are flowering still and haven't stopped - it's the tiny
flowered one which I find really enchanting. Obviously, your petunias have
enough protection from the house walls to be frost-free. Keep them going!
In autumn you might want to re-pot them in some fresh compost once they keep
flowering. In a mild environment I've kept trailing pelargoniums, petunias
and ballota going right through several winters.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-02-2008, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Snr" wrote:
I grew a trailing double-petalled white petunia in a window box which
was verysuccessful last season. I went onto my balcony ready to throw
away all the old annuals when noticed that on the Petunia new buds have
broken with fresh leaves just emerging. I've pruned the plant back quite
hard, with sevral old stems left with live buds.

Will this plant be expected to flourish for a second year?

No reason why not if it doesn't get frosted. *You must be living somewhere
warm enough - this winter, at least - to allow it to be a perennial.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

Also Sacha, it is very easy to take cuttings of overwintered petunia,
just nip out the growing tip, pull off excess leaves and put into sand
and potting compost usually with 100% success, No doubt Ray has been
doing this for years. How is he BTW busy I would tink at this time of
year?

Judith in London at the moment.
Old 27-02-2008, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/2/08 19:32, in article
, "Judith

Snr" wrote:
[...]

We don't propagate Petunias because to be honest, it's too much faff for us.
If they're not protected by PBR, which means we can't propagate them, it
would take aeons of hours. We buy them in as plugs. The busy factor is
certainly growing with every day that goes by and what is very interesting -
I think - is that we're seeing an increase in people who want advice on
garden planning and planting and that those customers are young and keen but
busy with their careers, as well as the older and more moneyed types. They
are not into 'instant gardens' but just want to make the best of what
they've got with some help. I think it's very heartening from the gardening
pov. In the ten years I've known this place I have remarked some changes
that others might not have noticed quite so much. One is the retreat and
re-advance of the bluetits and the other is the very considerable increase
in young couples with children coming for help and advice. When I first
knew the Nursery I'd guess most of the customers were middle aged and
upwards. Now there is a definite trend towards younger couples.
I really like this a lot. Younger people are enjoying their time grubbing
around in the earth, even if it's just digging a hole and putting a plant in
it. In a year or five, they might have a greenhouse and start raising
things from seed or cuttings. It's just so encouraging, such a balm.

Old 27-02-2008, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I grew a trailing double-petalled white petunia in a window box which
was verysuccessful last season. I went onto my balcony ready to throw
away all the old annuals when noticed that on the Petunia new buds have
broken with fresh leaves just emerging. I've pruned the plant back quite
hard, with sevral old stems left with live buds.

Will this plant be expected to flourish for a second year?

A friend of mine keeps petunias overwinter and takes cuttings from the
new growth to give several plants for the next summer. Try it.

Thanks for all replies