Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
John T. Jarrett

Default Bermuda grass question

Hmmm, reminds me...

This last Spring I forgot my fertilizer spreader _sucks_ and it dumped twice
as much fertilizer on the first three passes as it was supposed to...I
looked down, remembered, and carried the dang thing to the trash bin!

This is a new St. Augustine lawn sod last year. The front yard has this
REALLY dark, thick band of Bermuda around the edge where it was
over-fertilized and a thin St. Augustin area in the middle to match the back
yard.

I'd vouch for the 'Burmuda loves fertilizer' arguement!

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
"Gene S" wrote in message
Thanks, Rusty.

Thought it was probably too late, but worth
a shot :-)

I'm making an acre of perfectly flat area for the
grandkids to play on. It is irrigated & has/will be
fertilized to the hilt. I just sowed 100# of annual
rye - so it's looking good for the winter. LOL - got
an electric fence around it - makes the cows drool :-)

Gene
Briggs,TX

--
E-mail:

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:06:40 -0500, "Gene S"
wrote:

QUESTION:
If I leave it uncut, that is, do not mow it again this year -
will the Bermuda grass "seed-out"?

My thinking is that if I let it make seed, then the seed will
sprout next Spring & I will not have to go buy additional
Bermuda grass seed next Spring.

It may be too late to "seed-out" but it could. Once established,
though, it propagates by runners and rhizomes. So you would not need
to add seeds next spring.

Bermuda grass is a heavy feeder and likes a lot of nitrogen. So I
would be more concerned with fertilizing it than over-seeding it, once
it is established.

Rusty Mase