Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Gene S

Default Bermuda grass question

I have about an acre that was seeded last Spring with
Bermuda grass seed & is doing great. It is almost on
par with a golf course - just needs a little more density.

QUESTION:
If I leave it uncut, that is, do not mow it again this year -
will the Bermuda grass "seed-out"?

My thinking is that if I let it make seed, then the seed will
sprout next Spring & I will not have to go buy additional
Bermuda grass seed next Spring.

If it's not going to make seed - then I need to go ahead
and mow it as normal :-)

THANKS,

Gene
Briggs, TX

--
E-mail:

Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:06:40 -0500, "Gene S"
wrote:

QUESTION:
If I leave it uncut, that is, do not mow it again this year -
will the Bermuda grass "seed-out"?

My thinking is that if I let it make seed, then the seed will
sprout next Spring & I will not have to go buy additional
Bermuda grass seed next Spring.

It may be too late to "seed-out" but it could. Once established,
though, it propagates by runners and rhizomes. So you would not need
to add seeds next spring.

Bermuda grass is a heavy feeder and likes a lot of nitrogen. So I
would be more concerned with fertilizing it than over-seeding it, once
it is established.

Rusty Mase
Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
John T. Jarrett

Hmmm, reminds me...

This last Spring I forgot my fertilizer spreader _sucks_ and it dumped twice
as much fertilizer on the first three passes as it was supposed to...I
looked down, remembered, and carried the dang thing to the trash bin!

This is a new St. Augustine lawn sod last year. The front yard has this
REALLY dark, thick band of Bermuda around the edge where it was
over-fertilized and a thin St. Augustin area in the middle to match the back
yard.

I'd vouch for the 'Burmuda loves fertilizer' arguement!

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
"Gene S" wrote in message
Thanks, Rusty.

Thought it was probably too late, but worth
a shot :-)

I'm making an acre of perfectly flat area for the
grandkids to play on. It is irrigated & has/will be
fertilized to the hilt. I just sowed 100# of annual
rye - so it's looking good for the winter. LOL - got
an electric fence around it - makes the cows drool :-)

Gene
Briggs,TX

--
E-mail:

Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:22:31 -0500, "John T. Jarrett"
wrote:

I'd vouch for the 'Burmuda loves fertilizer' arguement!

In my youth I played golf and one time the greens manager was putting
out nitrogen so thick you could see it. He explained he was "weeding"
the greens (Tiff bermuda grass) by "burning" out all the weeds. The
bermuda loved it. Also, a farmer growing coastal bermuda hay was
applying about 100 pounds of nitrogen per acre 3 times a year to grow
his crop. That is a lot of ammonium nitrate.

Both seemed to work.

Rusty Mase

Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
God Bless Texas

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:13:25 +0000, Gene S wrote:

LOL - reminds me. I once mixed some mostly nitrogen
fertilizer into a thick spray & applied it to some young
weeds. It killed the weeds & was good for the grass that
was later planted.

I've always thought Bermuda like Roundup.

I hate the stuff, have since I was a child. It's stringy, hard to walk on
barefoot, gets into every bed, and is immortal.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Leona Henderson

God Bless Texas wrote:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:13:25 +0000, Gene S wrote:

LOL - reminds me. I once mixed some mostly nitrogen
fertilizer into a thick spray & applied it to some young
weeds. It killed the weeds & was good for the grass that
was later planted.

I've always thought Bermuda like Roundup.

I hate the stuff, have since I was a child. It's stringy, hard to walk on
barefoot, gets into every bed, and is immortal.

Fine for cattle and horses but not garden areas. It's worse than Johnson Grass! Both make good hay,
but don't use either for mulching. I did once though, in Hunt Co.. vacation in July, didn't have
arbor built til then and wanted to plant around it but terribly hot. Went ahead and planted, then
tented cubes of hay over the plants to shade them and they did real well. Yard was 'muda anyway so I
figured a bit more if seeds came up wouldn't hurt. Worked out really well.
--
nTX USDA Z 7B
Leona

Bermuda Grass Question gecko Lawns 1 13-09-2008 01:39 AM
Bermuda grass question AndyS Lawns 3 21-07-2006 04:58 AM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Bermuda Grass Bob Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 17-02-2003 07:56 PM