Old 28-02-2008, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
SteveB[_6_] SteveB[_6_] is offline

Default Questions for melon heads

I live on a sand dune, basically. Fine sand, lava, and caliche. But lots
of piled red sand in Southern Utah. Just like beach sand, only red.

I want to grow melons. Watermelons, cantaloupe, and any other melon that
will grow.

I have two acres, and my irrigation water is expensive at $8 per month for
unlimited quantity.

When planting melon hills on such terrain, what should I do? Should I take
a couple bags of garden soil they sell at the nurseries and mix it in where
I plant the seeds? Maybe a little fertilizer? I will be doing this
repeatedly over the years I last, so will making the soil better each year
help the yield, or is this a crop that needs to be alternated or rested?
Or planted in a new place each year? The nutrients in the soil are very
poor, and plant matter would be 2% on the high guess. I would like to get
some good melons the first year, and after that if the beds are prepared
right.

Can anyone give me some good advice?