Old 28-02-2008, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Questions for melon heads

I live on a sand dune, basically. Fine sand, lava, and caliche. But lots
of piled red sand in Southern Utah. Just like beach sand, only red.

I want to grow melons. Watermelons, cantaloupe, and any other melon that
will grow.

I have two acres, and my irrigation water is expensive at $8 per month for
unlimited quantity.

When planting melon hills on such terrain, what should I do? Should I take
a couple bags of garden soil they sell at the nurseries and mix it in where
I plant the seeds? Maybe a little fertilizer? I will be doing this
repeatedly over the years I last, so will making the soil better each year
help the yield, or is this a crop that needs to be alternated or rested?
Or planted in a new place each year? The nutrients in the soil are very
poor, and plant matter would be 2% on the high guess. I would like to get
some good melons the first year, and after that if the beds are prepared
right.

Can anyone give me some good advice?

Old 28-02-2008, 04:20 AM
Registered User

Don't buy potting soil, buy cow manure. Use one bag per mound and make certain you also purchase bone meal and spread that in with the seeds. You've got a problem. Low moisture and no help from the soil. Start a compost pile. I grind up my kitchen scraps in a blender and pour it over the compost pile after turning. You might want to get some bags of pine bark mulch and cover the mounds after the seeds germinate and then in the fall turn the mulch under. Get the nuggets. Also because the mulch will rob what nitrogen you have make certain you fertilize, but at night. You are going to have too much evaporation. I lived in Denver and I know about the heat and you are worse off. Is there a way you can create some shade? Garden centers have shade houses to protect plants from being burned. Hey it is not going to be easy and actually could be a losing battle unless you put some sweat equity into it.

http://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com
Old 28-02-2008, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote:

[...]

If it doesn't go to snow in the winter, plant a cover crop (green
manure, pulses that put organic material and available nitrogen into
your soil ) your local nursery should know what to give you.

If it snows, you may be able to put in a cover crop after you harvest
in the fall or before you plant in the spring. Again, check with local
nursery.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 28-02-2008, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

We used to use annual rye and occasionally clover to build up our soil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_manure

Brought in many loads of chicken and horse manure too.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

Old 28-02-2008, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 28, 6:27 am, Bill wrote:
[...]

Good advice from all.
Also, contact the local extension folks (and talk to the rez folks.
They have been growing melons for centuries)

cheers

oz, cursing at the ice storms

Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote in message
[...]

Mulch around each hill with wood chips, bark, grass clippings, or any
organic mulch. As each year goes by, turn the mulch into the soil and mulch
the top with new mulch. This will build up organic matter in your soil.

I do not consider $8 a month as expensive water at all!!

Good luck,

DP

Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dale P" wrote in message
[...]

It's not good for humans to drink, but the plants like it. It's part of the
local rural farm irrigation system. $100 a year flat rate. You can only
hook up a 4" line, though.

Steve

Old 03-03-2008, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dale P" wrote in message
[...]

In our area (Colorado) that is cheap for water. I had a two acre site many
years ago with a well. The well did not put out much water, and it was not
potable, and the electric charge was more than $8 per month. Of course, I
did not have a bill in the winter months as no usage. Anyway, sounds good
to me for a product delivered to your land.

I worked for a produce farmer in the early 1970's. The one thing I remember
was that he said that cantaloupe (and maybe other melons) had to have bees
to pollinate. He would call a local bee keeper and request some hives be
set near the melon fields when they came into bloom. Something to keep in
mind.

Good luck with you project.

DP