Old 28-02-2008, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Questions for melon heads

In article ,
"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote:

I live on a sand dune, basically. Fine sand, lava, and caliche. But lots
of piled red sand in Southern Utah. Just like beach sand, only red.

I want to grow melons. Watermelons, cantaloupe, and any other melon that
will grow.

I have two acres, and my irrigation water is expensive at $8 per month for
unlimited quantity.

When planting melon hills on such terrain, what should I do? Should I take
a couple bags of garden soil they sell at the nurseries and mix it in where
I plant the seeds? Maybe a little fertilizer? I will be doing this
repeatedly over the years I last, so will making the soil better each year
help the yield, or is this a crop that needs to be alternated or rested?
Or planted in a new place each year? The nutrients in the soil are very
poor, and plant matter would be 2% on the high guess. I would like to get
some good melons the first year, and after that if the beds are prepared
right.

Can anyone give me some good advice?

We used to use annual rye and occasionally clover to build up our soil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_manure

Brought in many loads of chicken and horse manure too.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather