Old 28-02-2008, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Camellia nitidissima

In message , Sacha
writes
Does anyone happen to know where I can get one of these?

Camellia nitidissima appears to be a junior synonym of Camellia
petelotii, so you might also find it under the latter name, or also as
Camellia chrysantha or Camellia achrysantha.

According to the Flora of China it's one of 18 species of section
Archecamellia, with yellow or pale yellow flowers. It belongs to
subgenus Thea, so it's more closely related (taxonomists' errors
excepted) to tea (C. sinensis), than to C. reticulata, C. japonica, and
C. saluensis of subgenus Camellia, section Camellia, but apparently it
is "readily hybridised with Camellia reticulata".

It's native to southern Guangzi (Kwangsi) and northern Vietnam, so I
would suspect it of not being very frost tolerant.

Googling I find a seed source under the name C. chrysantha.

http://shoppingcart.plant-magazine.c...p=product&pare
nt=0
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley