Old 28-02-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Camellia nitidissima

Does anyone happen to know where I can get one of these?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-02-2008, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
Does anyone happen to know where I can get one of these?

Camellia nitidissima appears to be a junior synonym of Camellia
petelotii, so you might also find it under the latter name, or also as
Camellia chrysantha or Camellia achrysantha.

According to the Flora of China it's one of 18 species of section
Archecamellia, with yellow or pale yellow flowers. It belongs to
subgenus Thea, so it's more closely related (taxonomists' errors
excepted) to tea (C. sinensis), than to C. reticulata, C. japonica, and
C. saluensis of subgenus Camellia, section Camellia, but apparently it
is "readily hybridised with Camellia reticulata".

It's native to southern Guangzi (Kwangsi) and northern Vietnam, so I
would suspect it of not being very frost tolerant.

Googling I find a seed source under the name C. chrysantha.

http://shoppingcart.plant-magazine.c...p=product&pare
nt=0
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-02-2008, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/2/08 21:03, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:37:40 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Does anyone happen to know where I can get one of these?

According to Jennifer Trehane in her book on camellias, there are two
forms, one of which is commonly known as C. chrysantha, with lovely
golden-yellow flowers as you'd expect from that name. Sub-tropical,
but apparently doesn't flower freely under glass in the UK. It's being
extensively used by hybridisers in an effort to introduce the colour
into a hardier hybrid, but no success so far, she says. Not sure if
that helps in finding a supplier though. Burncoose don't do it under
either name, and I don't think Trehane's list it either, although you
could ask them:
http://www.trehanenursery.co.uk/

I will. Thanks to you and to Stewart for very comprehensive replies. A
year or two ago I contacted Anne Berry about this and she put me in touch
with a friend she described as a 'magnolia nut' but I got no joy there.
Perhaps I'll try him again, too.