Old 02-03-2008, 12:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
John John is offline

Default vegies in pots

I appreciate both responses and take all on board. I like the sound of
plastic garbage bins for size, tomatoe pots take about 40litres of soil,
with lots of seasoned compost and keeping the water up. Correct me if I'm
wrong but I assume a few holes need to be drilled through the bottom of the
bins. Noone mentioned the quality of their vegetables, but they can't be
worse than what the greengrocers have on offer.
thank you
John
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
I'm desperately trying to grow tomatoes and eggplants in large pots
without
success. The pots are those large ones called tomatoe pots and I use a
good
quality potting mix. The few tomatoes that emerged were as tasteless as
the
store bought and only a small eggplant emerged. This last result is
typical
of several attempts so I'm wondering if there's a way to grow good
quality
vegetables, not just the two mentioned, in a pot. I'm not interested in
hydroponics.
thank you
John

What was the typical temperature where you were trying to grow them?
Tomatos
like it warm, eggplants like it hot .

Were they in full sun or at least half a day of full sun and the rest
bright
light? How long was the day? Without enough sun they will be weak and
spindly
and not fruit correctly.

Once established did you feed them with some fertilser every few weeks?
Veges
are mostly heavy feeders, even if the pot is a bit small you can grow them
if
you prevent them from drying out by regular watering and feed them. Small
pots do tend to dry out in the sun, this can be a problem if you don't
water
often enough.

In general yes you can grow veges in pots if the conditions are right.

David