Old 02-03-2008, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Uncle_vito Uncle_vito is offline

Default Need support wire

Actually this is a stem off to the side. I do have a stick supporting the
vertical stem but this is a horizontal stem with lots of flowers out about 9
inches from the verticle stem.

I have another phal that I bought in bloom with a wire twisting around the
horizontal stem. I do not know if this is just regular wire or something
more springy. That phal has almost finished flowering. I could use that
wire on the phal in question.

Vito

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
news
I wasn't really able to decipher much from your description. But yes, the
Phal stem probably does need support. Any thin, relatively straight stick
(whether wood or rigid wire) will work. To anchor the stem to the stake,
you can use twist-ties (purchased or saved from your last loaf of bread),
or any of the variety of dragonfly/butterfly/daisy clips which were
originally intended for little girls' hair ...

It is best to tie off in 2 places, one just below the last flowers and
another lower on the stem, otherwise the stem may snap just above a single
fastener placed high. Kenni

"Uncle_vito" wrote in message
I have a phal that is blooming and I am worried that the stem cannot
support the weight of the flowers. I have seen orchids with support wire
around the stem and attached to a bamboo support.

Is this wire something special or just fine tin wire. Seems it would
neet some springiness to it to provide support.

Can someone tell me what this wire is and where to get it, both internet
and in brick stores.

Thanks,

Vito