Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
zzznot zzznot is offline

Default New guy needs help!

You just go out in the morning, look for the bastids, and pick them off by
hand.

Assume these are the tomato hornworms, they have what looks like a big eye
in front and a fake stinger in the back. Totally harmless to you.

The thing is, you want to get them while they're small, before they've eaten
half a plant and damaged a bunch of tomatoes. They start as tiny green
eggs, little balls about 1/32" in diameter under the leaves. These hatch
into tiny hornworms, 1/16" or smaller. They grow to about four inches, as
you've probably seen.

They do turn into kewl moths, about the size of hummingbirds! But I
wouldn't encourage you to let them, they'll just be back next year to lay a
hundred more eggs on your garden.

There are some insecticides you can try, but in a small garden, just doing
them by hand is probably best.

Tomatoes also attract inchworms and other smaller critters, same deal for
them.

J.

"gardentard" wrote in message

Howdy,

Im the new guy, I live in a real dry part of the south and I got a
quesiton for y'all about my tomoatos. Ive been growing tomoatos for
about 4 years not but recentl I started to notice these little green
*******s runnin up an down the plant, and they are making it sick.

My buddy says that If I use human **** on the critters they will go
away, is there another alternative, coz I also wana eat the tomoatos.

Thanks for all help.

Andy

--
gardentard