Old 02-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Registered User

Default New guy needs help!

Howdy,

Im the new guy, I live in a real dry part of the south and I got a quesiton for y'all about my tomoatos. Ive been growing tomoatos for about 4 years not but recentl I started to notice these little green *******s runnin up an down the plant, and they are making it sick.

My buddy says that If I use human **** on the critters they will go away, is there another alternative, coz I also wana eat the tomoatos.

Thanks for all help.

Andy
Old 02-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Registered User

Smile

gardentard;776980]Howdy,

Im the new guy, I live in a real dry part of the south and I got a quesiton for y'all about my tomoatos. Ive been growing tomoatos for about 4 years not but recentl I started to notice these little green *******s runnin up an down the plant, and they are making it sick.

My buddy says that If I use human **** on the critters they will go away, is there another alternative, coz I also wana eat the tomoatos.

Thanks for all help.

Andy

andy u dont give us much to go on in order to answer your question. for example are these critters worms or bugs--yup i know u say that they are
running up and down the plant but still need either a pic or more information in order to help at all .
if its a tomato horn worm u can pick them off by hand using gloves because u dont want to get stung by their stinger that sticks up on the back of their tail area.
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...s/hornworm.htm
here is a link on the tomato bug
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783301811.html
i hope that this helps u but if not then try to get a pic of them if u can.
good luck. cyaaaaa, sockiescat .
Old 03-03-2008, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

sockiescat wrote in
:

if its a tomato horn worm u can pick them off by hand using
gloves because u dont want to get stung by their stinger
that sticks up on the back of their tail area.
http://tinyurl.com/a5ktm

tomato hornworms do not & *cannot* "sting". you can pick them
off with your fingers. they won't hurt you.
however, in the interests of accuracy, those big green
caterpillers on your tomatoes are actually tobacco
hornworms... they can't sting either. & they turn into really
cool moths. i grow sacrificial tomato plants just for the
hornworms.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

You just go out in the morning, look for the bastids, and pick them off by
hand.

Assume these are the tomato hornworms, they have what looks like a big eye
in front and a fake stinger in the back. Totally harmless to you.

The thing is, you want to get them while they're small, before they've eaten
half a plant and damaged a bunch of tomatoes. They start as tiny green
eggs, little balls about 1/32" in diameter under the leaves. These hatch
into tiny hornworms, 1/16" or smaller. They grow to about four inches, as
you've probably seen.

They do turn into kewl moths, about the size of hummingbirds! But I
wouldn't encourage you to let them, they'll just be back next year to lay a
hundred more eggs on your garden.

There are some insecticides you can try, but in a small garden, just doing
them by hand is probably best.

Tomatoes also attract inchworms and other smaller critters, same deal for
them.

J.

"gardentard" wrote in message

Howdy,

Im the new guy, I live in a real dry part of the south and I got a
quesiton for y'all about my tomoatos. Ive been growing tomoatos for
about 4 years not but recentl I started to notice these little green
*******s runnin up an down the plant, and they are making it sick.

My buddy says that If I use human **** on the critters they will go
away, is there another alternative, coz I also wana eat the tomoatos.

Thanks for all help.

Andy

--
gardentard

[IMG] code is On

New guy Alan Connor Edible Gardening 26 26-06-2004 02:03 AM
New guy Alan Connor Gardening 28 26-06-2004 02:02 AM
Stolen? Koi :was New Guy- Skooch Ponds 1 26-06-2003 01:08 AM
New Guy-getting feet wet (long) Skooch Ponds 7 26-06-2003 12:59 AM
new plant guy Adam Webster Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM