Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
mcmac74 mcmac74 is offline
Registered User

Default Landscape gardener

Hi

I'm a keen amatuer gardener, albeit relatively new to it. I'm seriously considering a career change and am considering applying for a place on a foundation degree in Horticulture and garden design.

I'd be very keen to hear from others on the site who are landscape gardeners, particularly those who have set up their own businesses. My primary motivation is the fact that i enjoy the outdoors and the opportunity to work creatively. I don't mind physical work and i want to be my own boss. My main concern is that i'd be taking a fairly big drop in salary if the averages they talk about on career web sites are to be believed (15K - 26K). I'd really like to know about peoples experiences doing this, do they enjoy it, is there a lot of work (obviously depends on the area) and generally would you reccommend it?!

Many thanks, mark