Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Rusty Mase

Default Eve's Necklace ( Sophora affinis )

On 5 Nov 2002 13:40:10 -0800, (Steve Coyle)
wrote:

Anyone know of a large specimen of Eve's Necklace growing in Austin
Texas? I'm looking to add it to my photo library. I notice that it's
sold as a small tree but a couple of sources list it as growing to 30
feet.
If there is one around town thats been planted for wahile I'd like to
get a look at it.

This is normally a forest understory tree and if you find one 30' tall
then it is probably hidden in such a location. I ran into one 15
years ago growing on the north side of a lake west of Hwy 183 and just
north of Riviera Drive that was open grown. The trunk was possiibly
10" DBH and maybe only grew to 18' in height. It was shaped just like
a golf ball sitting on a tee. Nice tree. If it is still there it
would be a good example of an old open grown Eve's Neckless.

I have one that grew from seed I collected there so it is maybe 15
years old. But it is only 2" DBH and maybe in another 15 years it
might make a picture. But these trees are common along ravines in the
Hill Country.

Rusty Mase