Old 06-03-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
T i m T i m is offline

Default ScareCrows etc ..

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:06:47 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote ((snip))
Fed up with having walk across the rough lawn down to the compost bin
like it was a minefield (and sometimes getting it wrong) and until I
can breed my own 'cat hawk' g I've decided to look into cat
repellents again. I thought I'd give one of the automatic vermin
sensing water sprinkler jobbies, like the Scarecrow a go?

http://tinyurl.com/mgejz

There are other makes and models out there so does anyone have any
recommendations re what model please? What have you got, how well does
it work etc?

The water pistol/movement detector things do work but they will hit anything
that moves, including you and yours and any local wildlife.

Ok ..

Two things...

Are you sure it is cats poo, I've never found it usually too smelly but
foxes certainly is.

Well, I have seen various cats in this rear garden on many occasions
and although I have seen one fox on the front once I have never seen
one round the back (although I'm not saying they don't go in there
I've never knowingly seen any signs of them doing so). I'm also not
aware of any other wildlife (apart from slugs) in the back garden,
certainly rarely any birds, possibly because of the cats etc?

Having lost all our sweetcorn and peas to mice/rats last year we would love
some cats on our allotment site, had 27 on the last one and no trouble with
rodents at all just a little poo occasionally.

I think it must be 27 using my back garden as a toilet .. (or 27 of
something if not cats!) :-(

Be warned, they may be coming
into your garden for a reason.

I'd rather have anything else Bob! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. If you could recognise cat's from foxes or anything else I'd be
happy to send you a picture (I have plenty of choice out there) if
you drop me a line (addy works).