Old 06-03-2008, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ScareCrows etc ..

Hi All,

Fed up with having walk across the rough lawn down to the compost bin
like it was a minefield (and sometimes getting it wrong) and until I
can breed my own 'cat hawk' g I've decided to look into cat
repellents again. I thought I'd give one of the automatic vermin
sensing water sprinkler jobbies, like the Scarecrow a go?

http://tinyurl.com/mgejz

There are other makes and models out there so does anyone have any
recommendations re what model please? What have you got, how well does
it work etc?

Failing that I like the idea of the third paragraph from bottom on
this page ..

http://tinyurl.com/2eo573

do we have the same system over here (if not why not!) ;-)?

"Hello, yes, I believe I have YOUR cat in MY garden. Could you come
and get it and while you are here clean the mess off three pairs of
shoes, two motorbike tyres and several places in the garden please".
:-(

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I wouldn't actually hurt any animal but this cat thing is really
starting to get on my nerves (and up my nose, it really stinks). I can
understand that we (gardeners) often have to spend time and money
protecting our plants from natural pests etc but why should we have to
spend ANY time or money protecting ourselves from someone else's
'pet'? Maybe there could be some sort of 'cat tax' that would provide
some funds to issue non cat owners these deterrent measures foc (like
the car insurance fund to compensate us against claims issues on
uninsured drivers)?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"T i m" wrote ((snip))
Fed up with having walk across the rough lawn down to the compost bin
like it was a minefield (and sometimes getting it wrong) and until I
can breed my own 'cat hawk' g I've decided to look into cat
repellents again. I thought I'd give one of the automatic vermin
sensing water sprinkler jobbies, like the Scarecrow a go?

http://tinyurl.com/mgejz

There are other makes and models out there so does anyone have any
recommendations re what model please? What have you got, how well does
it work etc?

The water pistol/movement detector things do work but they will hit anything
that moves, including you and yours and any local wildlife.

Two things...

Are you sure it is cats poo, I've never found it usually too smelly but
foxes certainly is.

Having lost all our sweetcorn and peas to mice/rats last year we would love
some cats on our allotment site, had 27 on the last one and no trouble with
rodents at all just a little poo occasionally. Be warned, they may be coming
into your garden for a reason.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-03-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:06:47 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote ((snip))
Fed up with having walk across the rough lawn down to the compost bin
like it was a minefield (and sometimes getting it wrong) and until I
can breed my own 'cat hawk' g I've decided to look into cat
repellents again. I thought I'd give one of the automatic vermin
sensing water sprinkler jobbies, like the Scarecrow a go?

http://tinyurl.com/mgejz

There are other makes and models out there so does anyone have any
recommendations re what model please? What have you got, how well does
it work etc?

The water pistol/movement detector things do work but they will hit anything
that moves, including you and yours and any local wildlife.

Ok ..

Two things...

Are you sure it is cats poo, I've never found it usually too smelly but
foxes certainly is.

Well, I have seen various cats in this rear garden on many occasions
and although I have seen one fox on the front once I have never seen
one round the back (although I'm not saying they don't go in there
I've never knowingly seen any signs of them doing so). I'm also not
aware of any other wildlife (apart from slugs) in the back garden,
certainly rarely any birds, possibly because of the cats etc?

Having lost all our sweetcorn and peas to mice/rats last year we would love
some cats on our allotment site, had 27 on the last one and no trouble with
rodents at all just a little poo occasionally.

I think it must be 27 using my back garden as a toilet .. (or 27 of
something if not cats!) :-(

Be warned, they may be coming
into your garden for a reason.

I'd rather have anything else Bob! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. If you could recognise cat's from foxes or anything else I'd be
happy to send you a picture (I have plenty of choice out there) if
you drop me a line (addy works).

Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"T i m" wrote after "Bob Hobden" replied to
"T i m" wrote ((snip))
[...]

Fox poo is generally more pointy at the ends than cat poo and it's softer
and smellier(and mostly black IME).

Have a look at...
http://www.foundationtv.co.uk/brilli...how2item4.html

http://www.foxdna.animals.uwa.edu.au...ox_poo_mystery

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:41:45 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

p.s. If you could recognise cat's from foxes or anything else I'd be
happy to send you a picture (I have plenty of choice out there) if
you drop me a line (addy works).

Fox poo is generally more pointy at the ends than cat poo and it's softer
and smellier(and mostly black IME).

Have a look at...
http://www.foundationtv.co.uk/brilli...how2item4.html

http://www.foxdna.animals.uwa.edu.au...ox_poo_mystery

Hmm, thanks for those Bob (I think! g).

The stuff that I seem to have in this long grass area seems much
lighter in colour (pinky / cream), about 3" in a spirally diameter
pile (overall) and sticks like (well, you know), seems nearly
waterproof and the smell lingers for ages. :-(

Yesterday I was moving my motorbike from our back garden to a mates
garage down the road. I had to do a 3 point turn onto this grassy area
so checked the area first for this 'mess'. I then pushed the bike the
1/8 mile and as soon as I got it in his garage I could smell something
was wrong. There it was still stuck to the back tyre. I took the rear
wheel off, dug most of it out of the tread with an old screwdriver
onto some newspaper (god it stunk) and then washed / scrubbed the tyre
under a running tap with some disinfectant (because of the smell and
risks).

A while back neighbour asked if I knew if anyone was putting down some
sort of black grease against cats as theirs had walked in it (from 5
houses away) and walked it all over their white leather sofa. I didn't
know (at the time but found out later) but I did have a quiet laugh to
myself afterwards (serves them right sorta thing).

It turns out it was a guy a few doors long who had put something along
the top of his high fence as he had been losing fish from his pond
(and had seen cats doing it).

Anyway, I don't really care what animal it is, I just don't want it in
my back garden! ;-)

All the best and thanks again Bob ..

T i m

Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

p.s. I wouldn't actually hurt any animal but this cat thing is really
starting to get on my nerves (and up my nose, it really stinks). I can
understand that we (gardeners) often have to spend time and money
protecting our plants from natural pests etc but why should we have to
spend ANY time or money protecting ourselves from someone else's
'pet'?

Hi Tim

I'm sensing we've had a similar time of it lately :-)

I've had a cat (well I assume so) crapping on my front lawn but have managed
to stop it by sloshing ordinary household vinegar around the 'target' area.
Every few days seems to do the trick in my experience. Obviously don't
slosh it on the grass itself or it'll scorch it but if you put in on
surrounding paths, drain covers etc, it should work with any luck.

BTW I agree with the cat tax idea. a 2 litre container of vinegar every
month is not much, but it's more money (and effort spent) than I should have
to be using!!

Cheers, Chris

Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:39:07 -0000, "Chris Burns"
wrote:

p.s. I wouldn't actually hurt any animal but this cat thing is really
starting to get on my nerves (and up my nose, it really stinks). I can
understand that we (gardeners) often have to spend time and money
protecting our plants from natural pests etc but why should we have to
spend ANY time or money protecting ourselves from someone else's
'pet'?

Hi Tim

I'm sensing we've had a similar time of it lately :-)

It's funny (well it's not really) how people can be allowed to have
something, a 'pet', that can be allowed to just do what it likes,
where it likes and we (the innocent victims) have no comeback?

I've had a cat (well I assume so) crapping on my front lawn but have managed
to stop it by sloshing ordinary household vinegar around the 'target' area.

If it was the cat owners kid doing it you could get an ASBO slapped on
them!

Every few days seems to do the trick in my experience. Obviously don't
slosh it on the grass itself or it'll scorch it but if you put in on
surrounding paths, drain covers etc, it should work with any luck.

If it was on the hard standing I'd have a chance of seeing it and even
cleaning it up. In this longish winter grass it's nearly impossible to
deal with.

BTW I agree with the cat tax idea. a 2 litre container of vinegar every
month is not much, but it's more money (and effort spent) than I should have
to be using!!

Well exactly.

I know (and am friendly with) one of the cat owners and before I even
said anything he's given me permission to shew his cat off my
property. In the same way that the parents of some local kids gave me
permission to tell their kids off if they used my house as a football
goal. How about *they* educated their kids not to do so, ever?

I've ordered one of those auto sprinkler thingies (£18 delivered and
easy to install for me in this location etc) and I'll see how well it
works. If it doesn't work well enough I'll set it to squirt liquid
fertilizer (good for our grass g) and then the cat owner may decide
to keep their own 'pet' under control in future!

Stage 3 being a humane trap and a midnight drive to the country ..
weg

All the best ..

T i m
Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:39:07 -0000, "Chris Burns"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

I've had a cat (well I assume so) crapping on my front lawn but have managed
to stop it by sloshing ordinary household vinegar around the 'target' area.

They will go nowhere near a very dilute application of Jeyes fluid.
(so I am told g)

(Too dilute to harm them or the surrounding plants/trees)

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 08-03-2008, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In my experience of this annoying problem I have noticed cats have fixed
entry and departure points from the garden. Sloshing my wife's very
strong urine at these points seems to have stopped the problem for some
months now.

Aitch
Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 07:20:38 GMT, Dave H
wrote:

In my experience of this annoying problem I have noticed cats have fixed
entry and departure points from the garden.

Good point, I've seen a couple slipping under the double gates so
there's one I know of.

Sloshing my wife's very
strong urine at these points seems to have stopped the problem for some
months now.

And where can we buy some please? weg

All the best ..

T i m

Old 08-03-2008, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 19:54:19 +0000, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
wrote:

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:39:07 -0000, "Chris Burns"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

I've had a cat (well I assume so) crapping on my front lawn but have managed
to stop it by sloshing ordinary household vinegar around the 'target' area.

They will go nowhere near a very dilute application of Jeyes fluid.
(so I am told g)

(Too dilute to harm them or the surrounding plants/trees)

;-) I have some of that so I can try that easy enough.

However, now I've ordered the automatic acid//// water sprinkler
thingy I think I'd like to give that ago with the status quo (purely
for scientific reasons of course).

All the best ..

T i m

Old 08-03-2008, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave H" wrote in message

In my experience of this annoying problem I have noticed cats have fixed
entry and departure points from the garden. Sloshing my wife's very strong
urine at these points seems to have stopped the problem for some months
now.

Jeyes Fluid might well have the same effect, works on dogs.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-03-2008, 06:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

T i m wrote:

Sloshing my wife's very
strong urine at these points seems to have stopped the problem for some
months now.

And where can we buy some please? weg

All the best ..

T i m

Hmmm!

I need a Sales Manager, Marketing Manager, Telesales.......

Aitch
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 06:27:57 GMT, Dave H
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Sloshing my wife's very
strong urine at these points seems to have stopped the problem for some
months now.

And where can we buy some please? weg

All the best ..

T i m

Hmmm!

I need a Sales Manager, Marketing Manager, Telesales.......

LOL! And the vehicles and installers for those who want the complete
service? I can see this going international very soon!

But maybe you could start small, with an eBay shop .. you just need a
catchy name for your (her) new product ..?

'Lady roar' maybe?

I think it's a winner (especially given it's green credentials I
didn't say that out loud did I?), I just hope she can keep up with
the predicted demand?

All the best ..

T i m

pee. s. You could support her with your own range of compost
accelerator products ..?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ave ave is offline

wrote:

[...]

Those sonic detectors/ scarers are quite good but pricey, although I'm
also experimenting with shaking chilli powder down among the crops, in
the hope they burn the cats' bums and they stay away, regards
dreschrode

Any ideas on quality etc etc of fruit trees from Deacon's, any experiences plz spender United Kingdom 2 18-02-2011 10:52 PM
Do scarecrows work ?? AndyS Gardening 6 12-04-2006 03:27 PM
[IBC] IBC/REC.ARTS.BONSAI, SPAM and etc. (was: Sticky, white stuff, etc.) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 02-06-2004 03:03 PM
AD: Handy tool for tightening/maintaining Grape vine trellis wires, fences, etc - Jake's Wire Tight C&C Fencing Supply Edible Gardening 0 06-02-2003 01:43 AM
Casting 'concrete' pots etc... Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 1 31-01-2003 03:40 AM