Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Pine Tree Question

Even if it doesn't damage the tree, the tree roots will likely damage your
patio. Ever see what happens when you plant a tree right next to a sidewalk?
Where I live, some genious came along and planted these big trees along the
sidewalks (or maybe the put the sidewalk next to the trees?) and now the
sidewalks are so badly buckled, they are dangerous to walk on.

Removing the roots won't stop this, they grow back. I would not put any type
of cement or brick work next a tree.

wrote in message
Hi everyone - I am planning on putting in a brick patio in my backyard
and would like to put it next to a large pine tree (50 feet tall). My
question is this - wince I need to dig down 6 - 8 inches to lay the
foundational aggregate and the resulting brick patio literally right
next to the tree, will I cause any permanent damage to the tree (or
even kill it), by removing any roots within those 6 - 8"?

Thanks!