Old 07-03-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pine Tree Question

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:56:40 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

Hi everyone - I am planning on putting in a brick patio in my backyard
and would like to put it next to a large pine tree (50 feet tall). My
question is this - wince I need to dig down 6 - 8 inches to lay the
foundational aggregate and the resulting brick patio literally right
next to the tree, will I cause any permanent damage to the tree (or
even kill it), by removing any roots within those 6 - 8"?

Thanks!

Possibly. To keep a tree healthy, best to leave it alone.