Old 07-03-2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Pine Tree Question

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
" wrote:

Hi everyone - I am planning on putting in a brick patio in my backyard
and would like to put it next to a large pine tree (50 feet tall). My
question is this - wince I need to dig down 6 - 8 inches to lay the
foundational aggregate and the resulting brick patio literally right
next to the tree, will I cause any permanent damage to the tree (or
even kill it), by removing any roots within those 6 - 8"?

Thanks!

Gymosperms don't have tap roots. They only have the shallow surface
roots. What you are planning will weaken the tree. How far is your house
from this tree? Do you ever have high winds? If it is within striking
distance of any house, you may want to remove it for your own peace of
mind.

The tree, not the house but really depends on how you feel about them.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
Bush & Cheney to the Hague