Old 08-03-2008, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Pine Tree Question

Very good question!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!

Most of you non-woody roots are in the upper 4 inches of soil most of the time. many woody roots can be in upper 9".

#1 See - Troubles in the Rhizosphere for starters
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

#2 See Roots:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/R/roots.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

See Troubles in the Rhizo
wrote in message ...
Hi everyone - I am planning on putting in a brick patio in my backyard
and would like to put it next to a large pine tree (50 feet tall). My
question is this - wince I need to dig down 6 - 8 inches to lay the
foundational aggregate and the resulting brick patio literally right
next to the tree, will I cause any permanent damage to the tree (or
even kill it), by removing any roots within those 6 - 8"?

Thanks!