Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Steve Coyle

Default Black Spot, Sulphur & 'Organic Rose' Book

In regards to this message:
Over the spring I had borrowed an Organic Rose book that I gave back and
can't find.

It had a recipe for Sulphur powder for Black Spot.

Day before yesterday was the first day I'd seen my roses in bright light
for, what, a week? And they are covered. I'd got some powdered sulphur, but
now I can't remember what I was supposed to do with it...

tia!

Whatever you do, don't spill it in your garage. I used to use sulpher
on my Roses until I knocked over a bag in my garage. No matter what I
did I could not get the smell out of the garage. ( I hope the folks
who moved in after our family figured out a solution )
My wife ordered me to never have sulphur near our house or garden
again, but being a manly man I said : "Honey, let me explain
something..."
Who am I kidding, I can't even get away with that on the net. I will
never get to heft a bag of sulphur again. Sulphur is an anti-bacterial
agent which is why you put it on dead critters and black spot.
You use a very light dusting and I would not recommend using any
sulphur mix that wasn't formulated for Roses, because I don't know
what the critical mix is.

Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com