Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Cattleya - dried roots

You did good. You'll have to wait a few weeks before you see any signs of
new growth. Don't worry. In the meantime go get the Ortho book 'All About
Growing Orchids' and read up. Is a great book with the rudiments of orchid
growing. It'll give you a few terms tell you about different pots and
potting mediums and make suggestions about care now that you've repotted.
It'll cost about $12 at any bookstore. I've even seen it at Home Depot.
Its always good to have a reference with pictures.

K Barrett

"jctusa" wrote in message
I have two large Cattleyas that have more or less been neglected for a
few years. Maybe, neglected isn't the proper word, more like lacking
the care that I think they need. They both produce new growth and
also I see new roots growing, but never flowering. This year the
smaller of the two did develop a pod with a bud inside it, but after
watching it flourish for a while, it seemed like nothing was
happening, so I trimmed back the pod and the bud appeared black - not
a good sign.

Fast-forward, and my fiancé and I attended a nursery's seminar on
orchid care and we both got re-energized. I decide what both plants
need, besides light are repotting. When I lifted the larger Cattleya
out of the pot, I expected it to be root bound, but instead all the
roots are dried and dead and the only green roots are the ones at the
top. The orchid leaves themselves are a dark green, which indicate not
enough light. I trim as much of the dead root away and also cut off
some of the misshapen leaves and then repot it. It looks pretty much
the same as it did last week prior to transplanting, with the
exception of being somewhat smaller. I still see the same growth, but
no new root shoots have sprung up, nor has anything died back.

One of the lecturers said that orchids are very hardy and we have to
work at killing them. I am wondering if this plant is just surviving
until better conditions come around or I succeed in doing it in.

This plant was brought back from Hawaii, approximately 20 years ago
and did produce abundant blooms for a couple seasons.

What should I do to make this once again and healthy blooming
Cattleya? Also, we are both interested in adding Paphiopedlilum
(slipper ochrids) and Miltoniopsis (pansy orchid) to our collection;
any experiences or hints into growing these varieties.

Thanks for reading the message and I appreciate any help.

jct