Old 09-03-2008, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Cattleya - dried roots

I have two large Cattleyas that have more or less been neglected for a
few years. Maybe, neglected isn't the proper word, more like lacking
the care that I think they need. They both produce new growth and
also I see new roots growing, but never flowering. This year the
smaller of the two did develop a pod with a bud inside it, but after
watching it flourish for a while, it seemed like nothing was
happening, so I trimmed back the pod and the bud appeared black - not
a good sign.

Fast-forward, and my fiancé and I attended a nursery's seminar on
orchid care and we both got re-energized. I decide what both plants
need, besides light are repotting. When I lifted the larger Cattleya
out of the pot, I expected it to be root bound, but instead all the
roots are dried and dead and the only green roots are the ones at the
top. The orchid leaves themselves are a dark green, which indicate not
enough light. I trim as much of the dead root away and also cut off
some of the misshapen leaves and then repot it. It looks pretty much
the same as it did last week prior to transplanting, with the
exception of being somewhat smaller. I still see the same growth, but
no new root shoots have sprung up, nor has anything died back.

One of the lecturers said that orchids are very hardy and we have to
work at killing them. I am wondering if this plant is just surviving
until better conditions come around or I succeed in doing it in.

This plant was brought back from Hawaii, approximately 20 years ago
and did produce abundant blooms for a couple seasons.

What should I do to make this once again and healthy blooming
Cattleya? Also, we are both interested in adding Paphiopedlilum
(slipper ochrids) and Miltoniopsis (pansy orchid) to our collection;
any experiences or hints into growing these varieties.

Thanks for reading the message and I appreciate any help.

jct
Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If the Catt leaves are dark green and you are not getting flowers, then I
think you are on the right track with giving it more light. This is a good
time of year for such moves; later in spring and summer, a sudden move can
easily result in sunburn.

On the roots, you may be too pessimistic about calling them "dead." The
actual root is very fine, and is encased in a layer of velamin (sp?).
Ideally, the velamin would stay white and firm, but for roots inside a pot,
that's not terribly common. Anyway, the root inside can still be living
even when the velamin looks really ratty.

Lack of good root growth inside the pot is usually a watering issue (unless
you had them potted in some really inappropriate medium, like dirt). If the
roots (velamin) were light in color and really dried, then you have not been
watering enough, or thoroughly enough. Whenever you water, you should run
lots of water through each pot. If they were dark in color and soft, then
they were staying too wet. Catts need to really dry thoroughly, all the way
through the pot, in between waterings.

For future reference, the best time to repot is when you do first see some
new roots just starting to grow.

The spot where you had the Catts might be just right for Paphs, most of them
don't want as much light as Catts; they also like to stay more moist. The
Paphs with mottled leaves tend to have more heat tolerance than those with
solid green leaves, if that is a concern for you.

Miltoniopsis are too cool-growing for us here in south Florida, someone else
will have to help you with those. Good luck!
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You did good. You'll have to wait a few weeks before you see any signs of
new growth. Don't worry. In the meantime go get the Ortho book 'All About
Growing Orchids' and read up. Is a great book with the rudiments of orchid
growing. It'll give you a few terms tell you about different pots and
potting mediums and make suggestions about care now that you've repotted.
It'll cost about $12 at any bookstore. I've even seen it at Home Depot.
Its always good to have a reference with pictures.

K Barrett

"jctusa" wrote in message
[...]

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Cattleya loddigesii - lovely silky-smooth purple bifoliate cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 05-01-2007 02:04 AM
Cattleya jenmanii - classic large-flowered Cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 07:55 PM
Cattleya roots Peter Aitken Orchids 3 30-08-2004 10:42 PM
Sprouting Dried Lima Beans (for garden) lagniappe Gardening 13 07-03-2003 10:08 PM