Old 10-03-2008, 07:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default vegies in pots

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"John" wrote in message
I appreciate both responses and take all on board. I like the sound of
plastic garbage bins for size, tomatoe pots take about 40litres of soil,
with lots of seasoned compost and keeping the water up. Correct me if I'm
wrong but I assume a few holes need to be drilled through the bottom of the
bins.

Yes

Preferably at the bottom, on the sides, the bottom can get blocked when
its not on pebbles or similar.

Noone mentioned the quality of their vegetables, but they can't be
worse than what the greengrocers have on offer.
thank you

Flavour is more related to the cultivar that you grow and picking at optimum
ripeness. Supermarket veges are usually cultivars selected for any other
quality (durability, appearance, short bearing period etc) than flavour and
they are picked at optimum time for transport and storage.

David