Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Hungry Gap

On 11/3/08 13:39, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:09:43 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Hungry Gap

When exactly is it?
Can it be successfully planned for?

Historically it was in about June/July when all the winter stored
things were used up and the corn had not yet ripened.
See "The Year 1000 by Robert Lacey.

Nowadays it is different. They didn't grow the same variety of crops
then (eg potatoes). Rivorford says it is NOW.
http://www.riverford.co.uk/news/index.php?newsid=52

With careful planning you can have things to eat now; potatoes, leeks,
onions, winter greens.

Pam in Bristol

Riverford's minutes away from us. If they're lucky, with all this rain,
they won't have to plant twice!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk