Old 11-03-2008, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hungry Gap

Hungry Gap

When exactly is it?
Can it be successfully planned for?
--
Chris
Old 11-03-2008, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 11 Mar, 10:09, Chris ] wrote:
Hungry Gap

When exactly is it?
Can it be successfully planned for?
--
Chris

We're into week two of the hungry gap, otherwise known as March.
You could try growing

Hungry Gap Kale

Kale stands out as an anti-cancer food. Kale emerged from our food
ranking system as an excellent source of traditional nutrients,
including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and manganese. It is also a
very good source of dietary fiber, calcium, copper, iron, vitamin B1,
vitamin B2 and vitamin E. This combination of vitamins, minerals, and
phytonutrients makes kale a health superstar. Lutein and zeaxanathin
are two of the most critical carotenoids related to eye health and
macular degeneration in particular. Advantage of kale is as a tumor
deterrent. Kale goes easily into soup, meatloaf or quiche, adding
nutrients without excessive flavor

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:09:43 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Hungry Gap

When exactly is it?
Can it be successfully planned for?

Historically it was in about June/July when all the winter stored
things were used up and the corn had not yet ripened.
See "The Year 1000 by Robert Lacey.

Nowadays it is different. They didn't grow the same variety of crops
then (eg potatoes). Rivorford says it is NOW.
http://www.riverford.co.uk/news/index.php?newsid=52

With careful planning you can have things to eat now; potatoes, leeks,
onions, winter greens.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 11 Mar, 10:09, Chris ] wrote:
[...]

We've eaten kale all our lives.

We both have cancer.

Eating kale - or any food - because of its claimed benefits is plain silly,
we should eat good food because it tastes good. Kale has its own flavour and
worth eating just for that - and its texture of course.

Mary

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/3/08 13:39, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:09:43 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Hungry Gap

When exactly is it?
Can it be successfully planned for?

Historically it was in about June/July when all the winter stored
things were used up and the corn had not yet ripened.
See "The Year 1000 by Robert Lacey.

Nowadays it is different. They didn't grow the same variety of crops
then (eg potatoes). Rivorford says it is NOW.
http://www.riverford.co.uk/news/index.php?newsid=52

With careful planning you can have things to eat now; potatoes, leeks,
onions, winter greens.

Pam in Bristol

Riverford's minutes away from us. If they're lucky, with all this rain,
they won't have to plant twice!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-03-2008, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pam Moore
writes
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:09:43 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Hungry Gap
When exactly is it?
Can it be successfully planned for?

Historically it was in about June/July when all the winter stored
things were used up and the corn had not yet ripened.
See "The Year 1000 by Robert Lacey.
Nowadays it is different. They didn't grow the same variety of crops
then (eg potatoes). Rivorford says it is NOW.
http://www.riverford.co.uk/news/index.php?newsid=52
With careful planning you can have things to eat now; potatoes, leeks,
onions, winter greens.

NOW is not a problem.

There are leeks, parsnips, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, wintercress,
rocket, spring cabbage, black tuscany kale,
all to be harvested fresh from the ground.

I'm wondering about May/June.

There will be rhubarb, and broad beans.
Is there anything else that we could be having, given enough
forethought?
--
Chris